 Events / 2189
Re: BrickFair 2008 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:18:32 GMT

In lugnet.events, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   Todd Webb, the organizer of BrickFair 2008, has been kind enough to address the issues I have previously raised about BrickWorld 2007 and BrickFest PDX 2007. Here is what I have learned:
  • Volunteers will not be compensated, and will be required to pay the full cost of registration ($60 for adults, $40 for those 11-17, free for those 10 and under).

Close. I said “volunteers should not EXPECT to be compensated.” I will elaborate. If I can afford to, I would love to give a token gift to long-term volunteers -- those working with the team months in advance. But even so, any possible gift will be only token in nature and could never fully compensate a person for their hours of dedication and care to detail in making the event a success. The “little helpers” we’re counting on to offer up an hour or two of their time during the weekend, more realistically, should not expect any type of payment. It just wouldn’t be feasible.

  • Vendors will be required to pay a $25 vendor fee in addition to the registration fee.

That’s $25 per table, which I think has been the standard with past Brickfests and Brickworld. I’m not trying to re-invent the wheel.

  • The Public Expo will run from 11AM to 4PM Saturday and Sunday. Admission will be $10 for those 13 and up, $5 for children from 6 to 12, and free for children 5 and under.

The public hours are scheduled to run until 5pm. I’m open to debate/suggestion in this regard, but at least SOME public hours are required to greatly increase our odds of breaking even.

I’m very glad to finally be approved here on Lugnet and am happy to answer questions! Of course I’m more often on the BrickFair.com website, so using the Contact Us form there is also useful.

Thank you, and I hope to see you all there! Todd