 Events / 1939
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:12:36 GMT

In lugnet.events, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

   “Because I’ll be more likely to help if I know”, “Because I’ll be more likely to donate if I know”, “Because I’d be willing to pay more if I know”, “Because I’m more likely to attend if I know”.

Those are all decent answers. It sounds like there’s a discrepancy of tense... my comments in this thread have all been aimed at the past tense, why should an attendee of an event want to know information about what they’ve just attended. Yours are examples of why you’d attend or volunteer for one in the future.

Well... yeah? Shouldn’t we be talking about consequence?

Sure, but that’s a slightly different conversation.

   To be clear, I’m not speaking for BrickFest at all... just as myself. So I’m hoping that you’re not taking my comments as official statements. I haven’t seen any posts or anything from official BrickFest sources that could be construed as treating people as moronic sheep, so I’m not sure what that’s referring to. I’m hoping you’re not finding my comments moronically sheepish.

Oh, I’m not referring to any actions specifically-- I’m following what appears to be your stance to its absolutist conclusions to test the validity of your claim. Your claim appears to be “BrickFest owes only specifically what it claims to owe to its attendees”, as in 1) a venue 2) space to show MOCs (as warranted by the rules), 3) any merchandise advertised and purchased, and maybe 4) presentations as promised, although “owe” may not apply in that case as BrickFest may not guarantee the actions of its volunteer presenters.

Essentially, by claiming that, and (apparently) not advocating what BrickFest “ought” and “ought not” do, your position comes across (to me at least) as being very closed-door and heartless. Effectively, I heard you saying “BrickFest owes you squat”.

I’m a heartless bastard. Ask my kids. :)

You’re free to draw the above conclusion, although it’s incorrect. The conversation has morphed into something different from what I thought I was talking about. I have enough of these chats with my wife, that you’d think I’d learn. So time to clarify.

Statement: BrickFest is legally or morally required to provide detailed information on revenue and expenditures, specifically beyond those funds used to pay all event expenses.

Kelly: No. Here’s why... insert reasons

That’s pretty much it. I’d love to have another conversation about wider issues, like enticing volunteers to come back, or getting people enthused about the hobby... but those are different conversations than what I thought I was having. I’m pretty much a linear thinker.

   And while I agree that that’s true, I think the point that is being expressed by Todd (and to a point Anthony as well) is a valid one-- that we as a community will feel *better* about the event the more we know, and will be more likely to contribute more.

No argument with that.

   I don’t know if anyone’s claiming that they really deserve or need to know, but I would like to *encourage* a larger amount of transparency in BrickFest’s finances.

That’s well said, and if it helps the event prosper, then I would support that. (That’s me starting in on another conversation.)

Kelly