 Events / 1741
1740  |  1742
Subject:
COLTC at First Night Columbus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:42:30 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

COLTC @ First Night Columbus - 12/31/2005

On Saturday, December 31, 2005, COLTC participated in First Night Columbus with a downtown Columbus layout at the Veteran’s Memorial building. We put together a display measuring approximately 17.5 ft x 10 ft.

First Night Columbus is a community oriented celebration that offers a little something for everyone. There were over 300 entertainers inside more than 30 downtown performance sites, of which the Veteran’s Memorial was one. First Night included hands-on activities, and there was plenty of that with the two free build tables set up in the COLTC LEGO area for kids and adults alike to enjoy!

Set-up began on Friday morning at 9am, and continued at 5pm on Saturday evening, ending at showtime, which was at 7pm. In total, it took approximately 40-50 man hours of set-up time to complete this particular layout, with 7 club members contributing time over 2 days.

By showtime, we had an additional 2 club members to assist with the free build tables, as well as to help with answering questions and watching over the display. For the duration of the show, we had 8 COLTC members attending to the display and the free build tables.

The highlight of the COLTC display were, as in most shows, the skyscrapers. A unique aspect to this show was the fact that we were able to align each LEGO skyscraper up to its actual real-life version in the downtown Columbus skyline. The windows of the Veteran’s Memorial provided a beautiful nighttime panoramic view of downtown.

Skyscrapers for this show included (from right to left, as in the actual skyline): Verne Riffe (in front), Huntington Bank (red and dark blue in center), LeVeque Tower, Rhodes (gray to the right), AEP, Nationwide 1 and Nationwide 3 (far end of table).

Our newest addition to the COLTC display collection is the Ohio Judicial Center, which seemed to almost be nestled in front of the massive skyscrapers along the banks of the Scioto River. It was as if it was almost lit from by an inner light.

A surprise guest appearance by, Rhonda Shappert, Mrs. Ohio America 2005, really energized the crowd, as well as the COLTC members, with her interest in the display.

The layout also included a McDonald’s, a building well favored by the attendees, as well as the Groveport Town Hall and a number of small store fronts for the downtown area.

Downtown was hopping with action as well, with mini figures enjoying the Scioto River and taking strolls through the city streets. The downtown area even included a semi truck accident scene, complete with closed off roads and clean up crew.

Throughout the evening, the attendees were entertained with accordion performances by Marian Funk. She was also very impressed with the display and really got to know a few COLTC members throughout the evening.

Nearly every COLTC layout includes LEGO trains, and the First Night show was no exception. We had two trains running on separate loops for this show, and working lights, with Benn Coifman taking the controls once again. Children, parents and train enthusiasts were all amazed that LEGO made trains, and that was probably one of the main questions of the evening. The trains, unfortunately, also caused the most “near misses” of the night with admirers trying to touch the track and trains as they went buy.

As the show ended at 11pm the public was escorted out and club members were allowed to relax and watch the 12am fireworks from the inside of the Veteran’s Memorial. They were beautifully done and everyone seemed to have enjoyed them.

At 9am on Sunday morning, 5 club members met (some after only 3.5 hours of sleep!) to tear down what we had worked so hard to put together on Friday and Saturday. It took us just over an hour to break everything down, and almost as much time to use a very slow freight elevator to get the boxes down to the trailer. But, we got everything loaded up and ready to go!

Again, another great show! We had a blast with all of the folks that came out across the river to enjoy the LEGO!

Reported by: Kirsten Lynch

To discuss the show, please check out this thread on the COLTC message board.

Galleries: Benn Coifman, Mike G, John Bucy