 Events / 1310
Re: ISD build record
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.1000steine-land, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:55:58 GMT

In lugnet.events, Todd Thuma wrote:
In lugnet.events, Holger Matthes wrote:
In lugnet.events, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
1 hour, 2 minutes and 28 seconds

<<http://festum.de/1000steine/album/TSL2004_Bauwettbewerb_nach_Zeit_Modell_10030/10030_61.sized.jpg>>

The team (from left to right)

Holger, Jan, Jan-Albert, Eddie, Juergen, Hendrik, (Jan Beyer form LEGO. He
stopped the time) Dominik, Ben, Andreas, Bruno

Hold on a second! A clarification in this post must be made. There are eleven
(11) people in the picture and eleven (11) people named in the effort.

That means that 11 people completed the ISD build in 1 hour, 2 minutes and 28
seconds not 10. Is this true?

If true, that means this effort had 11 participants. Analyzing the effort I
break the record down into per-person time units and discover the following:

A record of 1 hour 2 minutes and 28 seconds is equivalent to 3748 seconds of
time. Divide 11 builders by 3748 seconds yields 0.0029 builders per seconds

The previous record of 1 hour 9 minutes and 22 seconds is 4162 seconds and
dividing 10 builders by 4162 seconds yields a 0.0024 builders per second
ratio. Clearly, 0.0024 is smaller than 0.0029 and therefore faster than this
attempt.

If we were to factor in this attempt with the builders per second speed
acheived by the BrickFest PDX record, then this group with their 11 person
should have acheived a time of 4583.3 seconds or 1 hour 16 min and 23 seconds
(11 men divided by 0.0024). Obviously, by using the 11th man, the latest
attempt had an unfair 11th man advantage providing for 14 min in additional
speed.

If we examined this using the man hour analysis we see that the BrickFest PDX
attempt was still faster. In the 11 man attempt each person accounted for
340.7 seconds of the overall time (obtained by dividing 3748 seconds by 11
and assumes each person contributed equally). This equates to 5.678 minutes
per man or 0.0946 man hours. The previous record attempt equated to 416.2
seconds per man or 0.1156 man hours.

While this second figure is bigger, realize that the 11 man and the 10 man
groups performed the same task and we must account for the 11th man in the
latest record attempt. If we subtract the 11th man's contribution, we must
recaculate the record attempt. To do so, I add the 11th man's time portion to
the overall time acheived by the 11 person group. This time, 340.7 seconds
added to the record of 3748 seconds becomes 4088.7 seconds or 1 hour 8 min
and 8 seconds.

While this time is faster than the BrickFest PDX attempt on the surface, any
good mathmatician knows that you must perform the same function to both sides
of the equals sign, so we must also subtract the 11th man's contribution from
the overall time of the PDX record to determine how fast they could have gone
with the 11th man. To be fair we use the man hours average of the 10 person
PDX record of 416.2 seconds per man. The 1 hour 9min 22 second time now
becomes 3745.8 seconds or 1 hour 2 min and 25.8 seconds.

Obviously, the BrickFest PDX record still stands, when you consider the
contribution of the 11th man in this last attempt.

Sorry fellows, I guess we will just have to asterix this 11 man attempt as a
nice try.

Todd

Todd,
     Some (not-so-serious) Questions from the mathematically uninitiated:
     1) Does 'stopping the time' count as a contribution?  Isn't there usually
some sort of official timekeeper separate from the team to keep things honest?
     2) Does "builders per second" measure time, or does it actually measure a
number of builders?  To measure time, wouldn't one need to look at "seconds per
builder", the accumulation of which would give total number of seconds for the
project - the number itself being the average time spent by each person to build
a little while?
     3) Were you on the first team, and therefore a little miffed that this
challenge arose?  I would be, too, but I might include lunar orbit decay and
quantum variance in my calculations to just button it up a little more.
     Please don't take this the wrong way...I just really don't understand your
calculations.  Mine would have seen things differently - again, I'm
mathematically uninitiated.  Hope you have fun.

Peace and Long Life,
Tw0nst3r

tw0nst3r@earthlink.net