 Events / 1228
1227  |  1229
Subject:
Finally My QuikWars Pics from Ourcon!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.gaming.brikwars, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 00:49:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi All!

I finally found time and a working computer to post my pics from OurCon (April 18 & 19) during which Teddy and I converged to display our spacey models. As it was a gaming convention, we offered two impromptu sessions of QuikWars (variant of BrikWars) using the Moonbase as the setting.

The Pics are here.

While writing this, I also noticed these from Teddy.

Details of the event:

Many visitors enjoyed the display and took flyers (that had info on the hobby), and several joined the game. Great fun was had!

In both game sessions, the scenario was that opposing factions (players) were sending in small assault teams to gain control of the Moonbase and its wealthy supply of cheese (what else would the moon have?). We added a house rule that allowed a player to attempt to persuade civilians to join their side (a roll of 6) when they first met each one (line of sight at 5 inches). The Blacktron faction had an intimidation factor where they could persuade on a roll of 5 or 6 but if they failed the civie went running off to automatically join one of his opponents.

As the pics show, there was some serious carnage inflicted by all players. Unexpectedly, the civilians (NPCs run by the GMs) turned out to be the biggest threat. Their use as active combatants perhaps slowed the rate of players encountering players, but no one seemed to mind the challenge.

At the end of the Sunday game session, a player had one trooper enter a control tower and “randomly press buttons to see what happens.” One turn later, the shuttles of the big mothership in orbit began crashing down on misled courses. On the third turn from that, the mothership itself crashed down in a blaze of glory. Barely escaping from the Moonbase module he was in, the Blacktron Hero blasted his way into the Fusion Power Plant module and intentionally shot at the reactor. He successfully used a “stupendous feat” to survive the resulting blast, which otherwise ended all hope for the survival of the colonists.

Two players have already emailed me hoping for another game at some point. We will all have to keep in touch.

Cheers,

-Hendo