 Events / 1080
1079  |  1081
Subject:
BrickFest PDX 2004 Mosaic Event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mosaic, lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.announce, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:02:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

BrickFest PDX 2004 Mosaic Event

BrickFest PDX attendees will witness an attempt at an admirably audacious affair--the on-site construction of a huge LEGO mosaic built out of 1x1 LEGO plates. And everyone’s invited to help--or even compete!

That’s right, we’re introducing another building competition for this BrickFest! In the tradition of the Star Destroyer timed build, you can team up with another BrickFest attendee to compete against your fellow AFOLs! And did I mention that we’re building this mosaic out of seven colors--white, black, gray, dark gray, light gray, new gray, and new dark gray? Well, no, I didn’t mention it until just now, but go back and read that sentence again--yes, thanks to the tireless efforts of Jake McKee at LEGO (how’s that for a shameless plug--who loves ya, Jake?), we’re going to be building the first-ever seven-color grayscale mosaic!

Here are the details:

We’re creating a mosaic that will fill 27 large grey baseplates, with over 60,000 pieces...and we’re building 10 of those baseplates at BrickFest. We’ll have 10 two-person teams competing against each other to see who can build their plate in the shortest amount of time. The fastest team will, of course, receive a prize (which may or may not pale in comparison to the pride and honor of the victory itself).

What of the other 17 baseplates, you ask? Well, those will be built prior to the event; and you can get involved with that, too! I’ll be mailing out a baseplate (and all of that plate’s required bricks and instructions for said baseplate) to volunteers on a first come, first serve basis. So if you want to try your hand at mosaic building without spending any money, or you want to warm-up for the competition, or if you’d just like to play with some of the new gray bricks, send an email to Derek Schin at dschin@mcn.net and let me know what you’re interested in--either the competition, the pre-build, or both.

A picture of the image we’ll be creating (affectionately known as “Death Star Over Portland”) can of course be found at the official BrickFest PDX 2004 website.

Thanks, and we’ll see you in Portland!

Derek