 Education / 217
216  |  218
Subject:
Design Based Learning?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:29:30 GMT

Hello all,

Is anyone in the Lego Education community a product or proponent of Design Based
Learning? I spent some time this Summer at a seminar for teachers run by Doreen
Nelson, one of the gurus of this technique and the head of the Education Dept.
at Cal Poly Pomona. The seminar was co-funded by Art Center College of Design in
Pasadena, CA (one of the most influential Design Schools in the World) and the
Cooper Hewitt Design Museum/Smithsonian Institution. Seemed to me that LEGO and
DBL go together like...uh... LEGO bricks!

Doreen herself has been teaching this since the '60s, so it would be safe to
assume there are a fair amount of adults out there who have experienced this as
students as well as teachers..

AFOL projects like the moonbase, the New Brick Testament, Castle World (esp.
lately), Trains... all fit nicely in the DBL philosophy of teaching and
learning...

Anyone here? (preparing for crickets chirping)

Darrell

ps Sorry for the Non-Robotic post in Education - hope that's allowed! :)