 Education / 142
Re: Shame, Shame...."plastic" rubber tires in new technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.edu
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:44:54 GMT

Howdy,

Never sat down and figured out the friction coefficient for the different LEGO tires. However,
over the years I have hosted numerous "hill-climb", "King of the Hills", "Tug of War" and "Tractor
Pull" type contests. Usually, kids will grab the largest tires available!  They would catch on pretty quick
that different tires would grip better, and how well they were gripping was unrelated to size.

The next logical step in a classroom would be to follow up and calculate how much "grab" different
wheels have!  Thanks!

Richard
rwright@pcsedu.com

Miles Gentry wrote:

The plastic wheels work well when you cannot use a clutch gear or pulley
belt to protect a motor from excessive resistance.  Rrubber wheels do not
yield well on some driving surfaces when an obstacle stops the vehicle.
Plastic wheels spin and, so, protect the motor.

Comparing the friction of rubber wheels to plastic wheels might make a good
educational demonstration.  The plastic 30.4x14 wheels have the same
dimersions as the rubber wheels in many sets, eg, 8735.  The comparisons
could include both motor-driven and gravity-force tests.  The Dacta Wheels &
Axles set explains how to compare wheels of different diameter on vehicles
rolling down a ramp.  You could also compare the results of the rubber vs
plastic wheels.

In lugnet.technic, John Heins writes:
[snip]   The 8241 Battle Cars has PLASTIC wheels that look like the
standard rubber tire/plastic hub found in earlier kits (30.4x14 size). It is
NOT obvious looking at the box cover photos.   I picked this set up because
I teach "enrichment" courses (simple machines, robotics) at my sons' elem.
school using DACTA, Technic and Mindstorms materials and I can always use
more wheels, gears and such. Plastic wheels do NOT work as drive wheels >on powered cars - no traction.  [snip]