 Education / 134
Re: Book thought...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:33:28 GMT

I'd like to go on and on about it, but I haven't heard the official word yet as
to what I should/could say and not say.  The publisher is Addison Wesley
Longman, and I'm really not positive when it will be out (don't know how long
it takes for production after my part is done).

-ben

In lugnet.robotics, Peter Vogel writes:
Being lazy, I was hoping that would be the case :-)

When will it be out?  Who's publishing?

Thanks!
-Peter

"Ben Erwin" <ben@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
I have just finished this EXACT book, so I'm sorry, but its a little too • late
to collaborate.  :)  And although the audience is broader than the other • books,
i certainly have not left adults out, as there are plenty of advanced • concepts
in the book as well.

-Ben Erwin

In lugnet.robotics, Peter Vogel writes:
So, I've been coaching this FLL team for a while now, and also watching
my 9 year old daughter's use of Mindstorms and Technic and a book idea
has been forming in my head.  I'm wondering if anyone else is already
working
on such a book, in which case I could:
   1.  Offer to collaborate
       - or -
   2.  Back off and wait for it to come out (Lord knows I have enough to
keep me busy!)

So!  What I'm thinking about is a child-directed guide to Technic and
Mindstorms, similar
to Dave Baum's book, but assuming less prior knowledge and using either • RCX
code or
ROBOLAB for all examples, in addition to a text-based language like NQC.
Target kids in the 8-16 age range.  Loosely:

Engineering with Technic:
   Simplifications of The Art of LEGO Design, with more examples and
exposition, especially
       w.r.t. gears
   More "Cliche's:
       Methods of steering
       Touch Bumpers
       Light sensor mounting
       Common uses for various elements, especially some of the elements • in
the RIS

Programming Concepts
   Loops
   Decisions
   Hysteresis
   Tasks
   Sublimation

Robotic problem solving
   Partitioning the problem
   Simplifying
   Examples, from problem to solution, with encouragement to try for
oneself before reading
       further, kind of in the same style as "Thinking Mathematically".

What do people think?  Is anyone working on such a book?

-Peter
FLL Team #1096: The Unibots Coach