 Education / 109
108  |  110
Subject:
Plano 1258 storage for Classroom Robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:38:36 GMT

I recently started a FIRST Lego League team at my daughter's school.  (More
about
that can be found in lugnet.edu).  As we get prepared for the challenge, I
am using
a variety of team exercises for small teams of 2-4 students.  Each team
needed a robotics
set.  Since I was able to get Mindstorms sets from ZanyBrainy for $150 vs
the $230 from
Pitsco (thanks to a 25% discount over the summer for helping out with their
reading clubs)
I was faced with the problem of finding a means to store+transport 4
mindstorms kits in a
way that supported child-directed inventory control.

I started with the *excellent* suggestions from Ralph Hempel based on his
use of the Plano 1258.
Since the 3500 stowaway boxes are in short supply out here (took 3 separate
wal-marts to find the
12 I'm using) I extended the system with 2 of the 3450 boxes (6 fixed
compartments) and 1 3449-7
which fits neatly into one of the "bait" compartments on the right side of
the lower section.

I used Avery full-page sticker labels to produce a lid-label for each box
and the upper compartment
of the 1258 to show which pieces go where.

The end result is shown here:

Hope this helps someone else.  If anyone has any suggestions or ideas to
help with inventory
management in the classroom setting, I'm all ears!

If you would like copies of the publisher files (or PDF files if you don't
have publisher) used to
create the inventory labels, let me know!

Thanks!
-Peter
FLL Team 1096 coach