 Duplo / 420
Re: New to DUPLO® Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 00:52:59 GMT

In lugnet.duplo, Harvey Henkelman writes:
Hello all, I have a few questions about DUPLO® trains. First, is there a way
that the timer found in 2745 (the freight train) can be disabled? >I have
just received this set today and would like to run the train for more than a
few minutes without having to reset it.

To disable the timer as such - no.  However someone came up with a technic
gadget to continually reset the train using the stop/start switch.  See:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=8357

Second, can the train pull quite a bit?

Yes, but it varies with each engine (identical engines can have different
power), batteries (use fresh alkaline, not rechargeables) and the layout.
Engines can pull more easily on flat straight layout than on a bridge
(obviously!).  I have had an engine pulling every wagon I own at once
(~14?), it was markedly slower but was coping (but only just on the bridge).

Also, are there other people who collect and run these trains? I'm used
to LEGO® 9V trains but these seem to be very different. -Harvey

Yes, I'm one of them.  My train collection does double duty as a popular toy
for my son, but I originally bought them for me.  I just wish I had the
space to setup a permanent layout.  I've even toyed with the idea of running
a ledge around the walls of the living room but not surprisingly hubby
thought I was mad :)

I'm coming from the other direction, I have recently started buying 9v
trains but I still prefer the Duplo.  I like the simplicity and I guess I'm
more interested in track layout than building the trains themselves, I find
the Duplo much better for layout.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com