 Duplo / 261
260  |  262
Subject:
Bob The Builder Duplo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 02:57:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

Haven't seen this mentioned on lugnet but the press release is around a
month old.  Lego has licensed Bob the Builder and plans to release a 5 set
Duplo range next year, due for release around September.

http://www.lego.com/info/pressspecific.asp?PressReleaseId=125&Year=2000

LEGO Company “Cements” Deal With Ground-Breaking Bob the Builder Property

--United Kingdom-based construction-themed TV hit a natural fit for new line
of LEGO® DUPLO® Toys—

The LEGO Company, makers of the world’s best-selling construction toys,
announces a global agreement with HIT Entertainment PLC, to “build” a line
of LEGO® DUPLO® vehicles and playsets based on the top rated United Kingdom
pre-school television show, Bob the Builder™.

The three-year agreement, which marks the fourth property licensed by the
LEGO Company, gives the company the exclusive right to produce and sell
construction toys based on the television show, currently a smashing success
in the United Kingdom. Bob the Builder is scheduled to air in more than 80
countries around the world by the end of 2001.

The LEGO Company has plans to produce a minimum of five different LEGO DUPLO
sets based on themes, vehicles and characters from the Bob the Builder
series, available at retail in fall of 2001. The toys, designed for children
ages two-six, will be a fun, interactive and natural way to bring the
construction-themed world of Bob the Builder to life in construction toys
that spark the imaginative minds of children.

Francesco Ciccolella, head of the Global Preschool Segment in LEGO Company said:
"The Bob the Builder story line matches our values perfectly, and we are
therefore extremely pleased about our forthcoming partnership with HIT
Entertainment. Bob and his friends use their imagination and creativity
whenever they meet new challenges. They work together to solve problems and
fix things, and they have lots of fun while doing it. Bob believes in
himself, and this self-confidence and feeling of immediate success are
exactly what we hope to give kids everywhere when playing with our products.
Moreover, the social aspect in playing with friends is very important to us.
Bob the Builder is a good role model, kids love him, and we are looking
forward to bringing a combination of the Bob and LEGO values to the market."

“We’re thrilled to be working with the LEGO Company, the world leader in
construction toys, and believe that Bob the Builder makes a perfect
partnership. Bob is demonstrating all the characteristics of a children’s
classic and this deal marks another important milestone in establishing HIT
as a significant player in the global marketplace,” said Peter Orton, Chief
Executive of HIT Entertainment.

In the United Kingdom, Bob the Builder regularly receives 50% of pre-school
audience ratings. That performance is being matched in Japan, where the show
is broadcast on Tokyo 12, as well as in Germany and Australia, where Super
RTL and ABC are recording similar success stories.

For further information please contact

LEGO Company
Eva Lykkegaard, Global Company Communication
Phone: +45 79 50 74 24

SSA Public Relations
Steve Syatt (818) 501-0700
Robin Lawson (212) 679-4750