 Dear LEGO / 893
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 05:24:45 GMT

Brad Justus wrote in message ...
Please allow me to provide some further clarification. I agree that perhaps
our position regarding the viewing of images on LEGO.com was somewhat hard-
line and legalistic. It was not intended to be so. (I'll take the heat • here,
as it was my interpretation of a discussion with our in-house attorneys.)

[Mucho delitia]

So let me reiterate. Our copyright and legal concerns (and again, I am
speaking lawyerless here) are focused on the inappropriate and unauthorized
publication or use of our intellectual property on other sites, not with
behavior arising from activity on our own (unless such behavior is clearly
unlawful, such as hacking into the server). On LEGO.com, we ask only that • you
behave with courtesy and respect the experience as designed. Thank you.

This whole debate and discussion  of copyright issues reminds me of a funny
anecdote that the folks at Lego might be interested in.  A few years ago
several of my friends were of a mind  to go to Epcot center one weekend.
They all had annual passes and liked to go frequently.  I wasn't
particularly in the mood to go, so I tried to bow out.  My friend Colleen
told me the last time she was there, she recalled seeing a book for sale in
the Norway pavillion from the Lego group.  She claimed it was a compiliation
of the instructions for every Lego set ever sold and cost about $60.  I
instantly decided to go with everyone.  I was of course completely
insufferable until we went to the Norway pavillion and then I was totally
crestfallen when the clerks told me they had never heard of such a thing,
much less seen one.  Colleen fabricated the whole thing to get me to go
because she knew how to manipulate my obsession.  (Someone used to have sig
file that said, "A man with an obsession has very little sales resistance",
or something to that effect)

What does this have to do with anything?  Just a funny little story that
makes me chuckle now and perhaps it might give the marketing folks at Lego
some ideas.  I bet I'm not the only one who would be willing to pay lots of
money for instructions of old classic sets.

Just a thought.

Oh, btw, I have updated my website.  Mostly it is just a new frame-free
interface, but sometime soon I am going to put up the rest of the pictures
of the massive haunted house I built.

Matthew Verdier

"You can't just say you're King because some watery tart threw a sword at
you"
Dennis 932 AD

http://www.GeoCities.com/~mjvlego/

http://www.GeoCities.com/~hldc/