 Dear LEGO / 878
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:55:07 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Matthew Miller writes:
Thank you for your response -- we appreciate it.

Brad Justus <legodirect@lego.com> wrote:
Our position is that only images or material which are clearly accessible
through normal navigational means (i.e. by following hyperlinks from the
home page) are meant for public consumption. If unlinked material should be
“discovered” (either by accident or intent), then the publication of the
location of that material is a copyright violation (one could argue that
the listing of the hyperlink to that material is tantamount to publishing
the material itself). And if material was once available (through normal
navigational means), but no longer is, than it, too, is out of bounds.

I can agree with and respect your other points, especially regarding the
retailer's catalog. That makes sense. However, this one doesn't. There is no
legal precedent for this, but this sort of restriction cannot stand before
simple common sense.

The concept that providing links to legitimate information legitimately
published by someone else might be illegal would completely break the World
Wide Web. This is not a small issue. I really _want_ to say: I will respect
your wishes simply because I want to respect the Lego Company. And I'm
especially sorry if this puts the new relationship between the Lego Company
and the internet Lego community on a sour note. But this is a precedent that
MUST NOT be set, and I can't accept this. Please reconsider your stance.

<snipped bulk of well-thought out post>

I agree with you in principle, but I think you're making too much out of
this.  LEGO is not the first company to claim more copyright protection than
they may be entitled to, or can enforce, and they also won't be the last.  It
is, in fact, quite common for a company to define 'grey areas' as black (or
white) simply to avoid the headache involved in defining them legally (and the
other ways, too).

molehills != mountains

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/