 Dear LEGO / 5193
Re: Open letter to the CEO - has this ever worked?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:21:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
_________________________________________________________ February 2005

To Mr. Jørgen Vig Knudstorp
CEO of LEGO Company
Billund
Denmark

Dear Mr. Knudstorp,

I am NOT in support of this letter. I am NOT in support of this letter
representing the AFOL Community. I am NOT in support of this issue continuing to
be brought up with the derisiveness and disdainful language aimed at the LEGO
Company and the members of LUGNET that reply to or create these posts. Above all
else, complain, ask, and respectfully state your position, but do not make
threats and accusations against others in the name of members of this community.

First, in the history of modern capitalism, has a letter to a company like this
ever made a difference? Name just one example, please.

I totally respect your right to send a letter to the CEO. I completely support
your right to express your desires and to post them on this forum. Your
language, and maybe its the translation from German to English, is wholly
inappropriate to get your message across to your intended audience.

What are your expectations? That a billion dollar company selling millions of
sets each year is going to reverse a decision that took them months to make? Or
are you simply going to stop purchasing LEGO Products? In the best possible
circumstances this community of Adult Fans of LEGO represent 1% of the profits
from consumers of the LEGO product. While I am certain the LEGO company and this
community will miss your contributions in capital as well as your fabulous MOCs,
I cannot even see even dozens of us making a measureable impact on the company.

Lastly, the LEGO Company, in case you haven't noticed, is in a financial free
fall struggling to maintain profitability. They are closing stores, closing
factories, laying off employees that have worked for them for decades,
consolidating offices, scraping programs and ideas, reducing their future growth
initiatives, looking for buyers for the Legoland parks, and making changes that
will have decades of impact on the company. Did I forget anything? Oh, yeah,
reducing the color palette to control costs.

While we will never know the truth without this privately owned company opening
the books, is anyone serious that their $2,000 dollars that they didn't spend on
LEGO Products in 2004 made a financial impact? I am sorry that you might not
agree, but my $2,000 last year represents a thimble full in an ocean of water.

Again, I respect you right to communicate your concerns to the LEGO Company, and
I respect your right to post to this community, but please consider your
language and your measureable impact on a company selling product in a global
economy.

Respectfully,

Todd