 Dear LEGO / 4910
4909  |  4911
Subject:
click hinges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:51:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello,

in contrary to the popular saying 'don't fix it if it ain't broken',
you've broken quite a few parts severely.

I've just built 10151 Hot Rod re-release. The trunk doors are _tragic_,
they keep falling off, because of 44568+44571 parts. They're part of the
new click hinge system, which has replaced the classic fingered hinge
parts. Originally, parts 4315+4857 were used.

The similar problem is with 4500 Snowspeeder's windshield. As one tries
to open it, the whole canopy falls off.

To sum it up - click hinges are too stiff. If you don't mount them
securely both above and under, the force needed for one click is usually
higher than the force which fastens the part, so it falls off. Fingered
hinges never suffered of such behaviour.

Also from the visual point of view - the click hinges are big, ugly,
with large holes around.

Jake, would you think it would be possible for me to get blue 4315 and
4857 parts from LEGO Service? I'm _really_ disappointed by this
situation. I wanted nice Model Team set. I had to go the 'special way'
just to get the set, because LEGO doesn't want to sell it to me
directly. Now I have the re-released set which is not as good as the
original release was.
a) fingered hinges -> click hinges
b) manual not updated
c) old colors -> new colors