 Dear LEGO / 4532
Re: Mini-fig scale P-51 Mustang Moc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 00:39:32 GMT

In lugnet.build.military, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   In lugnet.build.military, Gil Shaw wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Douglas R. Clark wrote:

A really amazing shape you’ve captured here...and an economical use of parts as well.

You know, that’s an excellent point. Much like the Blacksmith’s Shop being ideal for its colorful presentation, clean lines, and economic use of parts, this would be a great line for LEGO: WWII Warbirds, minifig scale! Doug’s P-51 here would make a gorgeous $30 set. Included with each plane is a WWII Ace Trading Card! Perhaps there could even be an adventurers-type game to clear the skies over Britain or Libya?

Well, it’s not *that* far fetched. Based on the Sopwith Camel and the Red Baron’s plane, it seems that airplanes are far enough removed from the grisly carnage on the ground so as not to conflict with LEGO values.

Now I’m just babbling.

-s

I don’t know if I would really call this MOC “economical”; plates & tiles are used almost exclusively in its construction to achieve the level of detail & accuracy. When I take it apart (not until after its LDrawn) I will count the number of pieces I used. I’m sure you could reduce the piece count by curtailing the wild color scheme a bit (the checkerboard pattern on the nose for example).

I am flattered if, by comparing this MOC to the Blacksmith shop, you are suggesting that Lego should take it under consideration as a release in the MOC line (provided it didn’t conflict with their values). I would be more than happy to have it released as an un-armed Reno Air-racer.

I agree that a WWII warbird line would be great though. I just don’t know how it would play out with Lego’s traditional stand against war toys. The Red-baron & Sopwith Camel sets are already bluring that line as it is, but air combat in WWI is remembered as kights of the air that dueled it out one-on-one with some sort of chivalry. Also, the sculpture line is targeted at a slightly older audience than mini-fig based sets.

Air combat from WWII is remembered much differently and much more vividly. I am sure that there are too many people all over the world that remember the horrors of WWII for Lego WWII toys to be possible yet. There was plenty of grisly carnage in the air. I think I read somewhere that the US 8th airforce had more casualties in combat than the US Army troops on the ground in the european theater. You also have to remember the amount of destruction wreaked upon soldiers and civilians alike by the bombers of both sides. Debates still rage today about the morality of bombing raids over Dresden, Tokyo, and of course Hiroshima & Nagasaki.

I also think that it would be impossible to include time-period accurate insignia for any Luftwaffe birds (not sure about the Japanese insignia). Just think of the debates that us lugnet-ers could have over whether or not Lego could/should make a swastika tile/sticker to put on the wings/tail of a BF109 set??? Doesn’t France have some law against selling merchandise w/ Nazi logos, or does that just pertain to genuine Nazi war memoribilia?

I think that the only way we will see a minifig warbird line (or any other 20th century fighting vehicle) is if Lego releases a historical line of sets similar to the recent discovery/NASA sets. The sets could inlcude a spec. sheet about the aircraft or vehicle that is modeled and highlight how it was historically significant. Maybe something in conjunction with the History channel DVD. Whatever the theme, I don’t think it could be “play-oriented” In other words it might be ok to do sets that study history of war vs. encourage kids to play war.

I would just be happy if Lego would return to the Flight Theme that they had in the late 80’s early 90’s. Warbird-style designs could be included in an air-show/air-race sets.

The other idea I had was to release some warbirds as part of the sculpture scale. It would be really cool to have a P-51/P-38 built to the same scale as the Sopwith Camel. Or even a spirit of st. louis or lockheed vega from the “golden years” of aviation exploration (20’s-30’s timeperiod) would be way cool.

Just some thougths.

Thanks,

drc

(x-posted to lugnet.dear-lego)