 Dear LEGO / 444
443  |  445
Subject:
Is there nothing you can do about stores like FAO Schwarz?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:43:34 GMT

Dear LEGO,

I am an adult fan of LEGO and have found it disturbing how much some retailers
like FAO Schwarz mark up products including LEGO.  To me their prices boarder
on criminal thievery.

I only came out of my darkages recently because of the new Star Wars sets and
before I really researched the market price of LEGO and found this network of
thousands of adult LEGO fans I bought the Classic Star Wars sets at FAO
Schwarz.  I now get sick every time I think of what I paid.

For a small example of their prices just look here are some Star Wars sets.

http://www.fao.com/noname6.html

This is just insane.  Markups of almost 50%!!!  That just is not right.  The
smallest markup I found was on the Mindstorms set usually priced at $199.99 at
FAO it was $220 only a 10% markup.  Pretty cheap in the FAO way of thinking.

I know that other fans that read this do not shop in these stores because they
are informed consumers.  I will never buy anything from FAO again and am sure
there are many like me.  What I worry about is the casual fan or parent that
goes to FAO and sees the prices.  Those prices then stick in that persons head
and when their child asks for the Mos Espa Podrace set they say no you can't
have a $130 LEGO set.  Now $89.99 is not cheap but it is far cheaper than $130
and would make a big differance in many peoples thinking when looking for a
gift.

What I would ask is that you first warn FAO Schwarz and other stores like them
that if they do not lower their prices to an acceptable level that you will
pull their license to sell LEGO.  Then after a period of time if they have not
complied pull their license.

I know that I am probably just dreaming here because this would hurt LEGO in
the short run by not selling to FAO Schwarz but I thought that being the
ethical company that you purport to be that you might think that this type of
consumer theivery should deserve your attention.

Thank you,

Eric Kingsley

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/