 Dear LEGO / 4053
4052  |  4054
Subject:
review of July/August 2002 Club Magazine...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 06:05:35 GMT

I know that the magazine is geared for a younger audience, my first impression
was that of near amazement.

I liked the comic sections, but felt the 2nd one (Alpha Team) was a bit
short.

I also liked the extras included, though I really didn't care too much for
the bionicle comics or the Galidor "Secret" Decoder.

Noteworthy items: the Celebration II event with Giant Yoda, FLL (First
Lego League) Competion regarding Mindstorm Robotics, and the article on
the X-gamer were all pretty good.

Stuff I didn't care for: the Jackstone items, terrible and often
useless items mentioned in the calendar (which tended to have
"made up" lego events instead of real world happenings....the Jack Stone
made its appearance, although as subtle as it could be.

The biggest thing I felt took away from the magazine was the
"Ask Redini" section, particularly the first question in which a
youngster asked for a list of retired or retiring sets.
The answer was totally out of line....it tried to be as funny....
the answer Redini asked was that if he found some "retired"
sets he would let us know.  I thought that response was very
wrong, because the actual writer could be honest to the readers saying
that TLC doesn't have enough time to furnish a comprehensive retiree list
nor does it probably not want to reveal what current sets are up to retirement.

The Club special isn't too bad with the discount shipping and the "free"
t-shirt give away.  Unfortunately, only the shipping interests me at this
time, since I already have/had 3 of the shirts they are giving away.

Shipping instructions for alternate "models" was also a nice feature.

Another note of negativity, the HP sets didn't get featured very
well, event though it was supposed to be a "sneak preview"

I was to end this post...rant into a closing statement.  I was very
impressed with the contruction techniques presented in the building
section and cool creations section.

Benjamin Medinets