 Dear LEGO / 3913
Re: legends/re-releases
Newsgroups:
lugnet.basic, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 00:55:35 GMT

725 is an awesome basic set. Go look at it. It truly bore out the Lego
promise of "just the right amount of special pieces to encourage special
creations." It actually came with instructions for set-quality models.

Notice how its pieces are reflected across the other sets of its era -- a
reality of production -- like the Paradisa series, colorful pirate bases,
Nautica. (I'm not a full expert on this period...) Now imagine what kind of
basic sets could have followed the 1999 Star Wars or Adventurers instead of
the poor (even rare) Creator assortment we got (after the 25th anniversary
dwindled into memory.)

I got two copies of 725 as recent as 1998, along with the last dregs of
early 90s Freestyle. Sadly, I never accumulated enough of these pieces -
yellow roofs, inverse corners, rare windows, white fences, blue doors -- to
repeat the elements on scales I want, and they mostly stayed in reserve. If
Lego had rotated the basic pieces through a full cycle of colors over the
years, we could all have had very rich collections, but it's unlikely to
happen now.

So I've sold off most of it over the past few weeks. The bulk of my
collection remains centered on 1998-99. I'm glad to have sampled some Lego
history like 725.

-Erik