 Dear LEGO / 365
364  |  366
Subject:
Re-running previous themes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:34:05 GMT

On the basis that this seems to be the closest thing TLG has to an email
address (and accepting that its not particularly close to TLG having an
email address):

Further to BlueofNoon's suggestion on RTL, I recommend that TLG simply rerun
some of the older sets. And why should you listen to me? Well there are some
good technical reasons, but we needn't bore Lugnet with my blowing my own
trumpet.

Same packaging, same marketing, same pieces.

No design cost, no dies, no prototyping.

If you went back a few years, the children and mums and dads that buy for
children would hardly notice that these were 'old' sets, and probably not
care anyway.

The adult children that play with lego would gladly buy some of the themes
in considerable volumes.

My personal favourite is pirates and soldiers, however the choice of themes
might simply be made on the theme's popularity.

From what I read on RTL and see at the various auction sites, Pirates
(particularly the earlier sets which focussed more on design rather than
playability) and some of the Castle themes would be ideal.

And these need not displace all the new themes on the drawing board, but it
would serve to extend the period over which they might be released, and the
period over which their (presumably not insubstantial) setup expenses might
be amortised.

Oh, and please stop juniorising everything, its stopping me from buying
sets - the juniorised ones are no fun to play with. If I wanted a pre-built
toy, I wouldn't be buying lego, I'd be buying a matchbox car.

Richard
Still baldly going...
Check out my humble site at http://www.hinet.net.au/~guinan/