 Dear LEGO / 3602
Re: WHY SO LONG ON Light Gray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:27:34 GMT

No, you are mistaken. These ideas were forecast in the original Lego Direct
plan from April 2000 that was ahead of its time.

As for the "please make bleen colored googlewhatsit" posts on Dear Lego, you
should understand those in the context: wishful thinking mostly. Or like
putting flowers on graves, or paper scrolls on a bush, or pennies in a
wishing well...

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=9

In lugnet.dear-lego, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Cool!
The first interesting/serious ideas about bulk. So refreshing after all
those "Dear Lego, I want you to make part x in colour y available in
bulk".....

Duq

Timothy D. Freshly <timfreshly@shaheenlaw.com> wrote in message

"TWS Garrison" <tgarriso@math.purdue.edu> wrote in message
[snip]
The solution, as I believe others have pointed out in this forum before, • is
relatively simple:  Every few months, S@H should announce its intention • to
take
preorders for large (say, 1,000 pieces) bulk offerings of a few • elements.
There can be an announcement on shop.lego.com, a mention in one catalog, • and a
posting say to .market.brickshops or .market.b-s-t.  Once preordering is • done,
the bricks are made and shipped out. . .and the process begins again, • with
different elements.  This offers none of the risk and hassle of the • current
setup to S@H, since they don't have to worry about a large selection or • keeping
an inventory of items in stock.  It also spurs increased sales by • eliminating
buyer uncertainty about how long parts will remain in stock or whether • prices
will drop.  And it means that S@H can offer a wide coverage of parts, • over
the
course of a year or so.  Of course, the most frequent buyers would be • BrickBay
sellers who wanted to offer the parts to people who didn't want such • large
quantities---meeting demand for smaller quantities at a higher price • point.
The tricky part is that TLC probably couldn't *tell* John Q. Public "If • you
want this part in smaller quantities, there's this place called • BrickBay.
. .",
but hopefully people would get in the know somehow.

Glad to see this idea coming around again.  I suggested something very
similar a few years back (although I can not find it at the moment). • Based
on Lego's upcoming production schedule, let us preoder with credit cards • so
Lego has a confirmed number of parts already secured.  Then when the • regular
batch of piece X (for example 2x4 brick in white) is run for their regular
needs, they can also run whatever additional parts have been preordered • and
prepaid for.  They could even set a minimum number needed before they will
even do an additional run.  If that minimum is not met, all orders up to
that point are cancelled and credit cards credited back.

The beauty is that Lego would know in advance of a given production run • how
many additional pieces would need to be made to fulfill the preorders AND
they could calculate how much additional material and time would be • needed.
WIN-WIN.

Tim