 Dear LEGO / 3244
3243  |  3245
Subject:
Legoland/Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 21:01:16 GMT

First, I just want to say that my 5 and 9 year olds had a great time in 2
days at Legoland.  The age span was just right - my 5 year old preferred it
to Disneyland.  Miniland was "way cool."

The Clubhouse was fun - though you need to restock more often with a wider
range of parts.  This should be an opportunity to really build something
outrageous, not just a dumping ground for parts.  My 5 year old was very
disappointed when the parts on day 2 were unchanged from day 1.  Hey, he
would've built a HUGE contraption given the chance - and I would've HAD to
pay for it because no way would he have left without it.  As is we shipped
two boxes of Legos home from here and the store at Downtown Disney (another
big hit - we must've stopped every time we passed it - which was often as we
were at the Disneyland Hotel).

One complaint.  The whole Mindstorms line seems to have gotten minimal
attention here.  My 9 year old and I were disappointed in the sign-up
course.  I guess that with a 45 minute window, that's the best one could
expect -

<<Basically, they have a pre-built robot chassis (glued) with 3 robosports
attachments, also pre-built (and glued).  You choose a robot, "assemble" and
program to run on a course delivering balls.>>

Also, the staff seemed minimally informed about the product line (seemed to
be working by rote, off a script that covered the limited range of
possibliities they might encounter in the course). There HAVE to be some
fans who WANT to work there.   An "advanced" open lab (sign-up) might've
been nice.  Think of a more advanced version of "Build and race"  (you make
cars and race them) - have sign-out sets, get an hout to play and ask questions.

You seem to have blown an opportunity to sell to this group of interested
peopple - as well as the general public. There could have been FAR more
information about the whole Mindstorm line in this area - not just old boxes
on the wall.  Think about a RDS running loops - some Micro-scouts and a more
complex demo of the RIS system.  What about info on RIS 2.0????????I didn't
see any.  How about info on First Lego League?????   Videos of the
competitions??????  Interviews with participants??????    SHOW PEOPLE WHAT
THIS STUFF CAN DO!!!!!!!!     Hell, the bartending unit from the Netherlands
show would be a huge hit in one of the restaurants.

There was little to suck in the un-iitiated.  Those that didn't know much
about Mindstorms walked right on by.  As an alternate to the building
course, you could've had a bunch of Mars terrain boxes with explorer
set-ups.  This would've shown how the RIS, Vision Command and Mars expansion
pack worked together.  I saw a set-up like this on a museum's web site -
just like the DACTA set-up - I'm sure this would be a huge hit.  How about
robots negotiating an obstacle course/maze - simple set-up, high
visibiliity.  Show diferent set-ups - wheels, treads, whatever.

I think you need to learn "SHOW THEM and they will BUY!!!!"  Too many kids -
and parents - don't get the whole Mindstorms line.  They sure aren't getting
any information in a big box store like TRU.  Here they could see it in
action - a great selling opportunity, but no.......you didn't really expose
any people to Mindstorms that didn't know about it and sure didn't sell much
to those who were already interested.

Which leads to......If this is the flagship Lego operation in the US, why
did the Mindstorm selection in the Big Store stink?????   Other than the RIS
1.5 , a few Dark Side kits and some shelf worn accessory packs....nothing.
No RDS, No Droid Kits, no components - despite a bunch under a glass case.
Potomac Mills was beter stocked.

And.........You think that maybe, just maybe, you'd use the opportunity to
expose this captive audience to UPCOMING PRODUCTS!!!!   I learned more about
the Harry Poter stuff while web surfing at the San Diego Science Museum.
Generate some interest and enthusiasm......Try briefing the staff on
upcoming stuff. I know more than anyone I talked to there.

I think you have a GREAT product line in Mindstorms but you're NOT MARKETING
it.  You'vew dumped it with all the other stuff and let it flounder.  You
want to hold onto older boys who are growing OUT of Lego - build Technic and
Mindstorms!!!!!!!   If you spent a tenth of the effort on these lines that
you spent on Throwbots, Roboriders, and now Bionicles.......

And a suggestion .........why not a Lego Museum?????  on site...you could
split it up thematically.  Show old castle sets in the Castle area.  The
Wolf lives on in shields all over the place - why not show some original
wolf mini-figures alnog with old castle sets.  Have Aquazone kits by the
ride, Town sets by the Town.....etc.  I think  people would be enthralled at
the sheer breadth of past offerings.  Hey, you could really do a job with
the "Classic" line - have some products ONLY available at Legoland (as I
think of the black market and arbitraging arising from THAT).

I've been in enough corporate cultures to see that thinking gets locked in
one direction (or a succession of varying ones)........It does seem like TLC
is kino of stumbling about of late looking for direction.  Why not listen to
some of us lunatics who spend waaaay tooooo much money on your product.
Yes, we are NOT typical consumers, but we are thinking outside your
"corporate box"
and maybe have some insight you're lacking.   I'd really hate to see
Mindstorms die off from lack of proper marketing and support.  That and
Technics - the REAL old style Technics offer kids so much.  Again though,
it's NOT an easy sell.  You have to SHOW them - via schools, opportunities
like Legoland, The Downtown Disney Store,  whatever......  C'mon, try a
little harder........