 Dear LEGO / 3116
Re: Martian Ears?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 01:13:54 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Mizner writes:
Many of my Martians have ears.  Is this a production fault, or are some of
them the "rebel" Martians?  It is strange, because some have oval-shaped
ears of either side of their heads, perfectly formed.  Others have only the
side of their head there.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Has anyone else
mentioned this?

I have 2 Mission on Mars mini sets, 1 with Vega, and another with... Centauri
(I think). Both have 'ears', but it is my belief that this was a side effect of
manufacturing, not intended. This way, All of the elements involved make your
Martian out to be a total 2 studs wide, or 40 LDUs (LDraw Units). Without
'ears', I suspect his/her head may be thinner, such as 38 LDUs. On the other
hand, 'ears' would TLG a place to put either the "LEGO" name, or a piece serial
number... "30xxx"

James J.

(Note: 1 LDU is equal to either 1/64" or 0.4 mm. A 1 x 1 Brick is 20 LDUs wide
and long, and 24 LDUs tall.)