 Dear LEGO / 3050
3049  |  3051
Subject:
Re-issue of old figures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 11:49:51 GMT

I hope the Lego Company takes suggestions. I believe this idea has been
suggested before in this and other newsgroups. I also believe that there is
strength in numbers and I hope the rest of the building community including
the lurkers who never post join in with the following request.

A re-issue of classic minifigs and sets.

The basis of this request lies in the fact that Revell, Monogram, and many
other companies have re-issued classic models that have been out of
circulation for years.
Wizards of the Coast in their collectible card game Magic re-issued cards as
second, third, and etc. editions. The original editions of those cards have
the distinction of being black border cards with the later editions being
white border cards. These differences help maintain the value of the
collections of collectors and help the majority of players obtain rare cards
at a fair price.

Recently on Ebay, a set of 12 red imperial minifigs sold for $80 or
$6.67/minifig. The average price for those minifigs is $4 to $6 a minifig.
Castle figures from the Black Knights, WolfPack, Forestmen, and several
other sub-themes of the castle system consistently sell in the same price
range. Most of the minifig sets that you sell are in the same price range
but with 5 minifigs instead of one. I use these examples to argue that the
Lego company would make money selling remakes of the older sets and minifig
packs. I know wholesale production prices have risen and the costs to
construct a mold are hideous but considering how much we are paying for
older minifigs, I propose you do a limited preorder on requested sets or
figs to test the market. I do not know if the molds for shako hats or bullet
helmets still exist, but the molds for minifigs still exist and surely you
would have some idea of how much the production of classic items and sets
would cost.

I propose you do a limited preorder run to test the market viability of
producing classic sets and figures. Instead of manufacturing the product
then listing the item in the catalog, take suggestions and then take
preorders for the proposed product. I suggest a down-payment for the order
with the balance due or pay in full. When your production and
wholesale/retail sales figures reach an acceptable price level, then alert
the purchasers and confirm payment for the items and shipping, and only then
begin production of the minifigs or sets.  I will admit I do not know how
many people would be interested or the quantities of demand. I am offering a
suggestion that would be mutually beneficial to Lego and all the castle,
pirate, train people within the Lego community.

Please give consideration to this proposal. The financial benefits to the
company would be guaranteed since the orders would be paid in advance. I am
suggesting this method to reduce the risk the company would be taking to
produce these older sets and minifigs. I for one have purchased my share of
older sets and minifigs on Ebay and would like an alternative to acquire the
older and hard to find sets and minifigs of my youth. Like most people on
this site I use my bricks to build new creations not to store the sets for
future collectibility. Our hobby is building and those old sets I buy are
put together right along with the new.  I can understand the argument of
expensive startup costs but if we are paying in advance the return on your
effort is guaranteed. And remember the argument that is older than Ebay, if
I am paying for collectibles at an auction that is money I am not spending
at my local Toys R Us to buy new Lego.

Thanks for your time

James