 Dear LEGO / 3038
Re: The Refocusing of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:45:43 GMT

I just want to start this reply with a sense of awe.  I have long wondered
what drove me into my dark age and what has brought me back.

Thank you for putting into words what so many of us have thought.

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lou Zucaro writes:
Hi everybody,

Over the last few months, I have begun to come out of my second LEGO Dark
Ages. Whereas my first Dark Ages was brought on by “growing up” and having
“better things to do” than play with LEGO, the second one was brought on
because of a knowing lack of interest in a product that I felt, as many do
and have, that had changed to the point of not being what I loved so much
anymore.

My dark ages started in 1993 when I was 18, but it wasn't because I grew-up,
but because there wasn't anything good to buy.  I still don't see anything
worth buying.

Most of all, though, the juniorization of the LEGOLand sets and the addition
of many pieces that replace flexibility with single-purpose elements has
hurt the LEGO brand.

This is why I stopped buying the new sets.  After you take them apart, what
can you build with these large pieces?  I also had trouble storing the large
parts.  They got in the way and I eventually just stuck them in a box for
storage.

The LEGO System…the mini-figure scale sets…must return to the level of
detail that LEGO had achieved during the late ‘80s and early ‘90s. I don’t
think anybody who loves LEGO products would argue that new elements should
not be introduced, but they should offer more flexibility and possibilities,
not fewer.

The life on mars series in a good example.  Plenty of new colors, but on the
hole the sets are really ugly.  And you can't pose the martians.  What good
is it to have your legs attached at the ankles?

The themes and sub-themes, as we all call them, that LEGO has introduced us
to have all but disappeared. LEGO Town doesn’t even exist in the 2001
lineup. Buildings hardly exist anymore. The basic ingredients to build a
town are scarcely available. And the core elements needed to build your own
vehicles don’t even seem to exist. Of the nearly 70 sets shown in the 2001
in-box catalog, only one has the 1x3 car doors in it, and it’s a three year
old set that will soon be discontinued.

I didn't realize that lego town was gone. :(  That was the series that I
bought the most of.  I remember building cities that took over my room.  It
was the reason I got my Architectural degree.

Refocus on building. Refocus on themes. Refocus on detail. Refocus on the
integrity of the product and what it stands for, and don’t give in to the
fear that if it’s not electronic, people won’t buy it. They are different
mindsets, and they can co-exist. Look back at your past successes and bring
your product lines, themes and sets back in line with where they were. Give
LEGO enthusiasts of all ages the opportunity to find that magic again.

Just wanted to say that last paragraph agian.

Jonathan Dallas