 Dear LEGO / 2937
Re: Lego Outlet at Potomac Mills
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:41:32 GMT

John Heins wrote:

I always viewed outlet stores as places where one expected something of a
"bargain" on odd stock, older stock, etc.  I realize that a whole "outlet"
industry" has grown up to feed these huge "outlet malls" - I rather doubt
that most of what shows up in a Saks outlet EVER appeared in a "real" Saks,
for example.  However, I was very disappointed in the Lego outlet.......

Needing to go to VA and back in short period, I figured "why not?" and
stopped off 95 during President's Day weekend to check the Lego Outlet at
Potomac Mills - guaranteed mob scene (What can I say - I have a high
tolerance for pain). I was disappointed.  The older stuff - like Insectoids
and Wild West - that was marked down was still far more expensive than any
chain store clearance prices a year ago when THEY had them on clearance.
Many of the regular items were actually ABOVE Lego SAH prices.  THe Robotics
Discovery Kit was $109 vs. $99 online or via catalog.  The Technics
selection was very limited and priced higher than I usually see.  I suppose
that the children's clothes may have been substantially discounted, but the
selection was limited and too young for my kids.  I ended up getting a mug
for my youngest.  Not exactly worth the detour.

On the other hand, the three times I've been there, I've come away with
plenty of stuff. The scratch and dent table can be one of the best deals
(also, if you're polite and ask nicely, they might go look in back and
see if they have a particular set scratch and dent, but don't expect
them to do so if the store is busy or the phase of the moon is bad...).

If you're potentially interested in Scala or Belville (like I am), it's
nice to actually be able to look at the sets before purchasing, and they
often have them on sale (I've once seen a Belville set in a K-Mart, and
got some Scala sets from Etoys [or was it Amazon] once, the rest of the
Belville and Scala I've bought has been from S@H, eBay, or the Potomac
Mills outlet).

Frank