 Dear LEGO / 2896
2895  |  2897
Subject:
New Racers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 23:55:20 GMT

Wow...and I don't mean that in a good sense.  I just saw some of the racers
kits up close in a TRU today and was truly disappointed.  They reminded me
of a throw-away fast food toy.  What is the point?  Race them, watch them
crash and well, that's it because the simplistic nature of the kits sure
don't let you build much with them.  Sorry but it seems like you're going in
the wrong direction again.  Way too simple, low value and playability.
Frankly, they seem like a sure-fire way to degrade the Lego brand name.
People expect to pay more for Legos - they're a "better" product in fit,
finish, etc. than comparable products and are viewed as a "pricey but worth
it" type of toy.  You're gradually losing that image as piece counts go down
and kits are over simplified.

And as a sidebar, I cleared out the ZNAPS this TRU had left.  The motorized
kits are the only cost-effective way I've been able to accumulate motors for
the lunchtime courses I teach and the Kindergartens are still obsessed with
constructing things with the regular parts.  One teacher has the girls stay
for lunch some days since the boys hog them.

This is a product whose demise I can't really understand - unless the
original pricing was just too high.  My 5 year old and his friends think
they're great and 3 classes of Kindergarteners are obsessed with them.  I'll
admit my initial personal opinion was skepicism - limited compatability
being the main issue.  I doubt I would have bought them at the original
price, but I've sure bought a ton at clearance (a few hundred dollars
worth).  The kids this age love them.  They can build more elaborate things
than with Duplos but they're different than regular Legos (which are also
quite popular - especially the minifigures for playing and wheels to build
cars).  So, what went wrong????   Maybe it's worth making less profit per
unit if you can actually sell them.  I seem to remember that from economics.
It sure beats writing off the start-up costs and taking the loss when you
shovel product out the door.

Anyway, just my opinion.   John