 Dear LEGO / 2518
2517  |  2519
Subject:
Mindstorm Exhibit Dissapointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:46:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dear Lego,

I stopped by your Mindstorms exhibit on Sunday at Northlake Mall in Atlanta,
Georgia.  I was very disappointed and I'll run through my items that I felt
disappointed about.  Since there weren't very many people around the booth, I
assume a lot of other people were too.

1.  A lot of things weren't working.  Only one of the wall climbers was
working and not the one I really wanted to see.  The robot that rides on a
cart up to the wall and lowers itself down was not available because it
was "not working".  The walker from the dark forces set had a bad scout unit
on it and the front gears didn't turn causing the front legs not to work which
caused it to just move it's hind legs and look like it was going to tip over
all the time.  I guess my question is, why wasn't there a backup for both of
these.  These were probably the two coolest models you had on display and
neither of them were working.

2.  The table had a bunch of the models displayed on it...but they were just
moving around like some cheap mechanical animals you could buy for $10 at KB.
Sure the wall-climber was cool, but why not show some of the other models
going around obstacles and completing courses all by themselves.  These toys
are supposed to stimulate minds, but all I saw was a bunch of mindless toys
that might as well have been wind-ups.

3.  All of the computer displays had demo's or screans on them, but the mice
were taped down to avoid people moving them.  Why bother having computers at
all and just make a printout and save electricity.  An interactive exhibit
that isn't interactive isn't going to get anyone's attention.

4.  The people at the booth were nice, and maybe they are TLC employees, but
they sure didn't seem to have a great idea about their products.  You would
have been better off posting a notice to this board for a couple volunteers
from one of the local clubs, or better yet, ask clubs to participate alongside
you exhibit, a grassroots show where people are genuinely interested in
promoting their hobby is going to generate more buzz than a bunch of people
standing around in a very nice kiosk.  They said a lot of people had stopped
by to fix the walker but couldn't, it didn't sound like they had tried
themselves, nor did they seem to have the knowledge, a couple AFOL's would
have had that thing back up in no time with some extra parts (see 1).

That completes my official list, there was another exhibit nearby for twix
candy bars and I have to say there were more people that stopped by as they
were handing out candy bars.  That shouldn't have been the case, but because
of all of the things above, your exhibit was just a little bit better than
that table with raised edges outside most Kay-Bee toystores with all the
little mechanical animals on it, maybe a little worse actually because
Mindstorm models don't bark or make other noises.
Lastly, one unofficial item.
5.  The wall the climber was climbing were made from (mostly) 16 stud long
clear blocks.  I've never seen these for sale and obviously you made a bunch
of them (it was a pretty big wall).  Please make these and other size clear
bricks available for bulk purchase.

Matt