 Dear LEGO / 2442
Re: LEGO.new is coming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:27:35 GMT

Scott A <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Mario Ferrari writes:
Scott A <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
I assumed those left out were due to exsiting distribution agreements • in
those
countries.

You might be right, though from what I know Lego Italia supplies directly
the toy shops through its own network of agents.

Yes but the contract with the shops/agents/etc may preclude LEGO from • selling
sets direct - this is pure speculation on my part. As for France, I know • that
LEGO operates on a "sale or return" basis there (DYA, BB etc buy the • returns I
expect) - so for LEGO selling direct in France may just increase their • returns
(?).

Didn't know this about France. It explains why it's so difficult to find old
sets in France.

I would expect toy shops (from small one up to TRU) will be unhappy that • LEGO
are selling direct to you and I... and cutting them out of the deal.

Yes, they definitly will be unhappy, though I suspect that direct sales
won't affect their turnover all of a sudden. I imagine that just a small
percentage of their sales will take a new route, because many parents go the
toy shops looking for an idea for a gift and they wouldn't shop on the net.
But for sure, in the long term, their market will be heavily reduced by
online sales.

Ciao
Mario