 Dear LEGO / 2122
Re: Concerns and Ideas.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:45:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Alex Farlie writes:
Attn: Lego UK,
     Lego Direct,
     Mr Brad Justus,

Dear Sirs,
Around march of this year I collated a list of ideas from
various LUGNET newsgroups. (The sources and authours being clearly stated.)
A printed copy of this list was given to a
representative of your organisation, at Hamleys in London.

He informed me that the list had been passed on to your designers in
Denamrk. I have not heard anything since despite including my contact
details.
Whilst I understand that you may have genuine reasons for not
responding I feel that some response would have been appropriate.
I however remain hopeful that you will consider the ideas.

I recall reading some time ago (do not know the source or the authenticity)
that The Lego Company cannot or will not accept specific ideas for products or
product lines, etc.  This is due to liability.

If you submit ideas to TLC and they use your idea without any acknowldegment or
reciprocation of any kind and you can somehow prove that you submitted such
ideas, TLC would be somehow legaly liable or obligated to you.
As I understand things, they do not put themselves into this position.
TLC does not solicit ideas from any outside source for this reason and all
ideas developed by TLC employees are property of TLC and not that individual
employee or group of employees.

This is/may be standard practice for any organization or company.  For example,
if you worked in corporate medical research and developed a revolutionary new
medicine then the corporation would assume all proprietary rights, etc.
As I said, standard practice in the corporate world.

The toy market is very secretive due to high levels of competition.  You may
submit your ideas to TLC but you also may submit your ideas to another toy
manufacturer.  If TLC and the other toy manufacturer both used your ideas and
launched similar products simultaneously then some troubles/legal battles may
ensue.

I am not an expert on any of this.  Anyone wishing to discuss this further
should direct their follow-ups to .off-topic.debate.

FUT:   off-topic.debate

__Kevin Salm__