 Dear LEGO / 1829
Re: Old sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:51:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
In lugnet.space, Shiri Dori writes:
The issue of rereleasing sets has come up numerous times, too bad TLC (1)
refuses to listen. They would make great profit, ESPECIALLY if the sets were
to be "collector's edition" or the like. Examples of sets that would make a
ton: (Check eBay if you don't believe me :)

*Trains: Metroliner and Club car would be natural
choices for the train theme, not to mention the original 4.5V and 12V sets.
*Castle: Undoubtly the Original yellow castle and much sought- • after
sets like Armor shop and Guarded Inn.
*Space: I'm no expert but Space Police, Blacktron and IP2002 would be some
good start points.
*Town: Houses, ANY houses. Paradisa sets (eg Poolside Paradise).
Marina sets, airports, monorail. Way too many to mention.
*Pirates: Forbidden Island and BSB would be obvious
choices, maybe others.

I am sorry but I just dont see this. And I dont think Lego do either, which is
why they dont do it. I think they do listen and say "why dont people
understand the economics of doing this?"

The fact is Lego are in the mass market, they try to sell 100's of thousands
of each set around the world. Its uneconomic to make and distribute less and
print up the catalogs etc.

<SNIP>  Good argument about why TLC doesn't release old sets.

regards
lawrence

Lawrence,

I'm mostly in your camp, but I do believe that perhaps TLC should rerelease a
"few" old sets to the public as a mass market "Lego Classics" collection.
Occasionally Lego makes sets that just blow everything else away.  My thought
on this would be to use the Lego Convention as a chance for everyone to enter
their "choice" of the old sets.  This assumes that most people willing to pay
to go to the convention are probably pretty knowledgeable about old sets.  The
top vote-getter (or maybe top 3 or 5) get reissued in this fashion.  But in a
mass market fashion.  I think that quite frankly their are old sets out there
that could certainly easily blow away some of the (rather sad) sets out right
now.  Plus I think it would give Lego and excellent chance to see whether the
general public might be interested in the revisiting some old themes.  Just my
two cents.  (BTW, I am not going to the Lego Convention in California so I'm
not trying to skew things my way.)

Matt