 Dear LEGO / 1743
Re: an update -- and an apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 20:33:37 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Tony Kilaras writes:
When has TLC ever *promised* something and not delivered?  Less • rudeness.
More manners.

Oh my God, you MUST be joking.

Please state specific examples.

No, I will not, and not because there aren't numerous examples. You
obviously don't want to hear it, so it's best if you educate yourself. Very
easy to do with the internet. We all love Lego, but you have to remember
it's a corporation, and like all corporations, enslaved to the profit
motive.

TLC is not a corporation it is a family owned buisnesss.  Unfortunatly they run
it like a corporation.  i.e. they no longer seem to care about quality over
cutting corners to save money.  Now they wonder why they are losing money.

Anyhow, this is a problem I have had since alt.toys.lego: too much
irrational cheerleading and not enough rationalism.

Is it irrational to believe Brad is being truthful?

"We are very aware of the excitement, interest, and even skepticism which • the

messages announcing LEGO Direct have created."

"We've spent most of the last several weeks finishing and presenting the • LEGO

Direct business plan, as well as putting key pieces of our organization and
partnerships into place. Our funding is approved and we have the • enthusiastic

support of our Executive Team."

"And what (I hear you saying) about bulk buying? Well, it's definitely
happening."

If they offer ONE piece as available for bulk ordering, then Brad is
technically correct (although he did say that there would be at least a
dozen - 2x4 bricks in 12 different colors?) The point here is that this
thing has taken on a life of its own and I'd rather wait and see than be
sorely disappointed.

I prefer to think will will only get what is available in tubs.  Anything else
and I will be surprised (instead of dissappointed)

I know Brad's whopping
number of posts (3) has everybody excite, but let's wait and see what
actually is DONE. How about that? Is that a good idea or what?

"Definitely happening" doesn't get any less vague.  This is unprecedented • TLC
behavior which I think is obvious cause for optimism.  But you are free to
wallow in your cynicism.

Actually, I was one of the first who posted that Bad's post is a big deal.
Even if it definitely happens that they offer ONE piece in ONE color in bilk
quanitity then we're better off than before.

Yes indeed.

-Lord Insanity