 Dear LEGO / 1729
Re: an update -- and an apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 21:45:53 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, John Neal writes:
[...]
"Definitely happening" doesn't get any less vague.  This is unprecedented
TLC behavior which I think is obvious cause for optimism.  But you are free
to wallow in your cynicism.

Although I generally agree with the optimism expressed here regarding
LEGO Direct and what it could eventually become, I have to say that I
disagree with the assertion that "definitely happening" couldn't be less
vague.  To the contrary, I think it is -quite- vague.

What exactly is "definitely happening"?  We don't know.  We haven't been told
yet.  We can guess, and let our imaginations run wild, but we still can't know.

When bulk ordering eventually does "happen" -- this Summer/Fall, hopefully --
I wouldn't expect anything much more than 1xN's, 2xN's, and a few sloped bricks
and maybe some Timmy heads (j/k).  If there's more than that, then great! --
but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

IMHO, it would be too good to be true if TLC was able to offer a full line of
parts even a few months after the initial kickoff.  More likely, IMHO, it'll
take several _years_ (18 months in the very best case) before a full offering
of parts is available.  (Miracles aside, of course.)  This is just my guess,
and I -hope- that I'm wrong and that all the parts -are- available by the end
of this year, but again, I ain't holdin' my breath.

So that's what's vague (IMHO) about "definitely happening."  :-)

Don't get me wrong, I totally think that even ONE element (the standard 2x4
brick) in various colors in bulk would be infinitely better than the current
situation of NO bulk -- but I think it's wise to temper the optimism just a
bit in light of the vagueness.  (Not that there's anything wrong with TLC
being vague -- that's their prerogative.)

--Todd