 Dear LEGO / 1659
Re: an update -- and an apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Brad Justus writes:

To everyone at LUGNET:

My apologies for what may have been the longest recorded case of AFK ("away
from the keyboard") in recent memory. But believe me, it was all in a good
cause - I think all LEGO enthusiasts (and particularly AFOLs) will be pleased
with the plans we are now putting into action.

We are very aware of the excitement, interest, and even skepticism which the
messages announcing LEGO Direct have created. And we are working very hard to
build community and direct commerce initiatives which will be worth not only • of the LEGO brand but of your high expectations. This, of course, demands much
attention and toil, and so unfortunately I've not had as much time to spend on
these boards as I would like. But we are reading and taking note of your
interests and desires.

Spending time on the product rather than the hype? Hooray!!

FYI:  I recently compiled a list of ideas from LUGNET postings(I included
names)- This was sent into to Lego here in the UK( I was informed that someone
called Niels was looking at.- You might want to check on this.)

We've spent most of the last several weeks finishing and presenting the LEGO
Direct business plan, as well as putting key pieces of our organization and
partnerships into place. Our funding is approved and we have the enthusiastic
support of our Executive Team. We're working on our design, our • infrastructure,
our distribution and fulfillment arrangements - really, all the pieces that go
into building a world-class effort (both on- and off-line) in community
experience and commerce. (And let me reiterate again that this is indeed a
global effort - LEGO Direct will launch its initial offering beyond the US.
We're still working on exactly how many markets we'll be able to serve from
the beginning - this is more a function of fulfillment capability than >
anything
else - but this is very definitely not an American-only operation. And we'll
move into as many markets globally as we can as quickly as we can, likely over
a period of months from our initial launch.)

<SCRIPT>
Shot of globe- spinning
(Music starts to play - Theme from 2001?)
Zoom from globe over a dark shape.
VO:  Announcing a new way to buy your Lego(R).
Lego shape moves in front of sun in an Eclipse. -
Roate and pan is revealed as a 2X4(3001?) Brick with Studs facing towards us.
(Lens flare off top of brick)

Music Reaches Climax.
Pan awy from brick as Space Minfig comes into view- He winks at the camera.
Vo: Lego-Direct- A new dawn for Lego(R) buyers...
Caption of Voice over- Fade backgorund and not titles...

I can say now that we are building our new offerings not to a narrow focus • with
limited age appeal (i.e. what has been perceived as the "traditional" LEGO
target of children). Instead, we recognize that our appeal extends over a wide
range of ages and interests, and that LEGO has a value proposition not only • for
younger children, but for young parents, families, older children and
teenagers, and - most decidedly - adults. Nor do we view LEGO Mindstorms as • our
only product with adult appeal;

Accepted.- Mindstorms is excellent. - Woudn't mind a version that could be
interactivly driven- Like the Dacta Control stuff in the 1980's. I would love
to see a new version of mindstroms with at least 8 channels.

From what I hear- Mindstroms is finding markets in serious academic research
as well as film and telveison FX work.  Lego(R) isnt just used for Play
anymore.

See also postings: Farlie A & Just Imagine in this group for ideas-
Town and Trains havce some brilliant ones. -

Also ISTR a website where someone had produced a number of models of
agriculturual equipment- ( A line in Promotional or corporate specials?--
After all that's how Airfix models got started!!- )

the health and vitality of LUGNET is testament
to the interest our core play materials products hold for everyone. So we will
be reshaping our direct-to-consumer presence, both online and offline (for
example, the LEGO club), to be much more attuned to the needs and interests of
our consumers.

Among other activities, we will be helping to enable and participate in LEGO
communities for older (i.e. adult) enthusiasts, and we will create (over time)
products and other offerings with specific appeal to this group. This means
not only bulk buying, but perhaps exclusive playthemes or product lines that
are
made even more valuable by the participation and input of the community.

Suppourt Disks for LDraw perhaps?- At least you could be sure that we were not
misrepresnting you products.   I'm sure many devlopers connected with it would
more than willing to assist on development of a superset CAD Pacakge.- This
woudn't be Creator 2 though- That is specifaclly an entertainment package.

We intend also to provide support, either financial or otherwise, to as many • of
the LEGO communities and clubs out there (both online and off) as we can.

The Meccano Guild as an example? - ISTR a posting by myself suggesting a
magazine simmilar in style and content to that published by Meccano out of
Binns Rd, Liverpool. You would be well advised to consult on this.

I've
even spoken to Todd Lehman regarding how we can provide support for LUGNET
(without, of course, in any way comprising its independence. And we're also
working on organizing a couple of events at our first-ever LEGO Club • Convention
at LEGOLAND California in July which should have interest specifically for
AFOLs.

Please hold one at Windsor for the UK!

<SNIP>

Until then, keep playing well. And I promise not to be absent for so long a
time ever again.
-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct
legodirect@lego.com

My view exactly.

Alex
" What we can create is that which we explore. That which we explore is what
we can create. Imagination is the key - to all improved creativity!"