 Dear LEGO / 1635
Re: an update -- and an apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 21:15:16 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Brad Justus writes:
And what (I hear you saying) about bulk buying? Well, it's definitely
happening. We are working right now on determining how many items we can offer
initially - though I should tell you, it will necessarily be a limited number
at first as we test our manufacturing and distribution capabilities for this.
In addition to a selection of standard bricks, we will also be offering a
dozen or so "non-standard" items which we will, in a couple of weeks, want to
have your input on. (Start mobilizing those votes for windows now.) Also, we
will not be offering items which are currently out of production, at least for
some time (I can't make any promises here.) And, once again, the target for
delivering this service to you is late summer. I'll have more details on bulk
buying, as I said, in two or three weeks.

I skimmed through the other posts, and I didn't really see any mention of this,
so I'll put in my thoughts here--

The question obviously is what pieces do people use the most, and will want to
order in bulk. Personally, in terms of which pieces, I'd have to say:
- basic bricks
- basic plates
- slope pieces
- windows
- tiles

But the one thing I'D like to stress is to include basic bricks in NON standard
colors, like tan/beige, brown, dark grey, orange, light blue, pink, purple,
etc.  Of these, particularly tan/beige and brown.  I think that basic colors
(Red, blue, yellow, white, etc.) probably won't be in as high demand for two
reasons: rarity and cost.

In terms of rarity, standard colors have been around for years. Many collectors
already have all they need of the basic colors.  But non-standard colors
(mainly because many have only been recently introduced) are a lot harder to
come by.  And on top of that, they've also always been available in more
or less bulk sale through things like Shop At Home and basic brick buckets,
available for retail sale.

As for cost, again, basic bricks can be pretty cheap. Set 3033 (blue 1200 piece
bucket) for example retails for $19.99 for a huge number of pieces (red,
yellow, blue, green, white, and black), making the average cost per piece
phenomenally low. True that for some this may actually be more expensive than
the potential ordering through Lego Direct (if collecting only one color, like
green which is still rather rare), but in general, I think standard colors will
most likely be available much more cheaply than Lego Direct will be willing to
offer (although I could be mistaken).

The non-standard colors, though, have a whole lot of potential (In my own
opinion). Colors like tan and brown have sold in recent auctions for much
higher costs than one might expect (keeping in mind, though that most buyers
are adult fans). Personally, I would focus on tan/beige and brown, mainly
because these two colors are probably the most useful in large scale landscapes
and actual structures-- making them (I'd estimate) in larger demand than other
colors.

Careful to note, however- I don't mean to say that standard colors shouldn't be
offered... I'm mostly stressing the potential value of offering non-standard
colors, so that it's not overlooked. From my own perspective, it looks like the
question being considered isn't what colors will make the most money, but what
pieces will make the most money. Personally I would rather see more colors come
out in standard pieces than more pieces coming out in standard colors.

Anyway, some thoughts for consideration...
Play well,
DaveE