 Dear LEGO / 1440
1439  |  1441
Subject:
Homemade Light Modules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 03:28:27 GMT

Hi all,

I would just like to pose a new idea. Current light bricks have lights, and
different caps to provide different colors. What I am experimenting with now
is the use of Light Emmiting Diodes(LEDs).
    LEDs will only light up if the current is travelling in the right
direction (polarity). So what I did was connect two LEDs, one green and one
red, in different directions. What happens is this:
    The green LED lights up if one button is pressed, and the red one lights
up if the other one is pressed.
    But be careful if you are using the 9-volt power pack. You must use a
resistor if you don't want to blow your LEDs. If you are using mindstorms,
you could probably just lower the power level for that output.
    I think this would be interesting to use in a robot as an indicator of
some sort. It's also better than the present light element. I hope to get
some pictures online of what I've got so far, but I don't know who to borrow
a digital camera from.

        Tom

PS LEDs at Radio Shack are not very expensive, and ask about resistors.