 Dear LEGO / 1137
1136  |  1138
Subject:
Feared misconception about the Star Wars sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:25:33 GMT

I fear that TLC may attribute the strong sales of the Star Wars sets to Star
Wars fanaticism rather than good set design.

I realize that putting the "Star Wars" name on anything is going to increase
sales and in fact it is what got me back into LEGO after 13 years away from the
brick.  That does not mean however that all of the success should be attributed
to the Star Wars name.  These sets are truely what LEGO is all about.  There is
an excellent part selection that can actually be used to build decent alternate
models (just ask John VanZwieten the alternate model king).

Although I have purchased one of each pre 2000 Star Wars set and plan on
getting all of the 2000 sets just for the models I can honestly say that I have
purchased multiples of the following sets for parts only...

10 - 7128 - Speeder Bikes
5  - 7130 - Snow Speeder
5  - 7140 - X-Wing
2  - 7150 - Y-Wing/Vader's Tie
4  - 7141 - Naboo Fighter
2  - 7151 - Sith Infiltraitor

I personally think the Sith Infiltraitor is the least attractive model of the
initial Star Wars offering but the part selection is one of the best I have
seen.

I understand the need for some Juniorization in some lines like Town but I
really think that if you were to carry over some of your design techniques used
in the Star Wars sets over to other Theme's like Castle, or Pirates (Bring them
Back please) I really think you would see a differance is sales.

I think the lack of basic parts in many new sets has led to some kids getting
away from LEGO earlier than they need to.  The problem is that there are so
many special parts out there you just can't build alternate models the way you
used to and to me this is what LEGO is all about.  It's not about building the
set on the box its about using your imagination to build something else then
taking it apart and doing it again.

That is one of the things that make the Star Wars sets so fun.  You don't have
to have a lot of LEGO if you only have one or two Star Wars sets you really can
build lots of different things with the parts in those sets.  This is not as
easily done with Juniorized sets that have lots of 5 high bricks and hugh wall
pieces.

My suggestion would be to keep some Juniorized sets and themes for those kids
just breaking into LEGO but at least try using the design methods used in the
design of the Star Wars sets in another theme.  I will go out on a limb and
suggests Pirates because I think it is ripe for re-release and IMHO would sell
like crazy using an unjuniorized approach.

If I am wrong I guess I will eat crow but how will you know if you don't try.
I would think (I could be wrong) this would be limited exposure for you if you
did this with only one line at first.  If I am right then all that will happen
is you sell more sets and make more money.

So please don't attribute all of the Star Wars Theme success to the Star Wars
name.  A large portion of the success should be attributed to great design and
the limited use of specialized parts.

Thanks,

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group