 Database / Set Inventories / 312
Re: Inventory--021 Wheel Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:03:00 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Jim Hughes writes:
Scholars have long debated exactly where the 021 wheel set fit into
Samsonite history. As I'm sure you are aware early scholarship viewed the set
in a rather harsh light. Was it an accessory set or a model set in its own
right? However several recent scholarly articles, particularly the paper in
the Journal of Early Plastic Building Block History (J Plas Block His 27:1149-
1161 (1999)) suggest a reevaluation of this set. As Peregrine Hunicutt M.C.S,
cofounder of Plastic Brick with Small Round Stud Quarterly states-the 021
is "perhaps the best Lego Wheel Set of the late 60's"

This set was still sealed when I opened it so I thought it would be
interesting to inventory it by tray, although I seriously doubt that the
contents of each tray were consistant from set to set. I picture some worker
in Denver spending the morning riveting handles on attache cases, then after
his union-mandated break, throwing about the right amount of small plastic
pieces into trays on an assembly line, thinking all of the time about the
greivence he is going to file. So consider this a snapshot of a 30 year old
set.

All of these are the older style elements. Although ABS, they are clearly not
the Bayer Novodur used today.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This is great. I asked about an inventory of
this set a couple of months ago and I was losing hope anyone could come up
with the exact contents.