 Database / Set Inventories / 1196
Re: pictures?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:58:21 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Bob Kojima wrote:
i'm curious if you are looking for people to submit pictures of parts
to peeron. if so what are the requirements? i have seen post where you
have turned down pictures from other people.

unfortunatly, we have to try and keep the quality of the pictures on the
site up - we didn't want to turn those pictures down, but we're aiming
for a consistant look.

i have tried taking some pictures of parts with my digital camera and
it does pretty good at close ups but i do notice that the flash does
not light the back part of the picture very well.

yah, you can't really use flash when taking close up pictures of lego -
way too much glare.

could you briefly discus your picture taking methods? maybe a few
pictures of your lighting set up. what format you prefer, background,
and picture size.

Heh, I can't show you the setup, since we took it apart when we moved...
What we had was fairly simple though. A couple of large gray baseplates
(so you don't see anything that's not lego in the picture), a normal
overhead light (I think 100w bulb, but Jennifer would know), and a
smaller portable lamp, also 100w. So when we took the picture, I'd try
to move the small lamp around, so we'd get even lighting and no glare.

picture format? JPG, 640x480, when the part you're taking a picture of
fills most of it (of course, tiny parts are exception :). Gray baseplate
background, with the exception of minifig torsos and heads, as you can
see on the site :)

We do welcome pictures, we just have to be critical of them...

:)

Dan