 Database / Brictionary / 25
Re: Question from a newbie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:01:38 GMT

Hi Craig,

Welcome and thanks for posting!

Craig Livingston <CLivin007@aol.com> wrote in message
news:FGL6HI.JpL@lugnet.com...
I really don't know if this is right place to post this, but here goes:

Since coming out of my own dark ages, I have really gotten involved in • legos.
I enjoy reading lugnet.com's newsgroups, but often I am unable to decipher • the
meaning of a brick term. For instance, someone will mention a 2x2x2 slope • and
I have no idea what kind of brick that is. Is there some kind of • brick-naming
convention tutorial or a website that explains the basic of brick • nomenclature
(sp?).

Thanks for replying,

Craig

Yes you did come to the right place (I think :)  This group is designed to
help establish exactly what you are looking for.  We have found over time
that it is very confusing when everyone has their own naming conventions and
there isn't any 'Dictionary' or 'Thesaurus' that tells us what a name means
or what other names it goes by.  Currently the best way I can think of would
be to have a 'Dictionary' showing a picture of all the parts lego makes with
their various names and Lego numbers listed next to them.  Unfortunately
this is an immense task.  A lot of people have already started working on a
solution and you will find some of their posts in this group.  Probably the
most enthusiastic is the Lepanadat (Lego Part Name Database).

If you have a question about the naming of a piece and what it is, you could
post a query on lugnet.general and cross post it to this group so it can be
recorded as a possible problem name.

To find links to visual catalogues and other references just look at other
messages in this group.  You should probably try those before posting a
question.

As far as what is a 2x2x2 slope brick?  It is a brick that has a base 2
studs wide and 2 studs deep with a height of 2 bricks tall, the slope (2
studs wide by 1 stud deep) starts at the top at the center and slopes down 2
brick heights to the bottom.  You can find this piece in several castle sets
where it is used as a maidens dress.  Probably used elsewhere too, but I
can't remember the sets.

Hope that helps,
Adam