 Database / Brictionary / 190
Re: P/N 4865 & 30010
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:15:26 GMT

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Jason Spears wrote:

What's the differance between these two parts?

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30010
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4865

TLC uses different molds for the same part (I believe 30010 is
only for transparent parts), and hence uses different part numbers.
Peeron uses TLC part numbers when available, even when it isn't helpful.
This is why (as Larry P will tell you) it's dangerous to use primary keys
with external meaning---if we conceptualize 1x2x1 panels as all being the
same except for color, there really needs to be a one-to-many relationship
between "PartsIDs" and "Part Numbers" (actually, I think I've read
somewhere that that relationship might even be many-to-many, although I
can't think of any examples of TLC using the same number for two parts
(of course, they do it all the time for sets)).

TWS Garrison
tgarriso@math.purdue.edu
   http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/