 Database / Brictionary / 103
Re: Online LEGO Inventory Database
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 00:20:59 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.db.brictionary, Steve Hodge wrote:
The core element table should have an abstract key value, and a pointer to a
graphic image for each part.  A second table, call it Descriptions, would • have
the various descriptions for the part and the key back to the core element
table.

Yep.

Oh, and each description should probably be tagged with a source.  That way,
when we change the description of some part in LDraw, the cross-reference
database can be updated.

I'd thought about this earlier, but forgot to mention it.

Some sort of searching (or at least heirarchical arrangement) of parts • based
on attributes/description of the part would also be necessary (it's not
pleasant to have to wade through huge numbers of pictures looking for the • part
you want). There's another thread about just this.

Pictures are going to be the ultimate ID method for parts.  Having a small
number of categories or types would allow easier access to the pictures. • Once
number of descriptions are collected, a text search function is possible.

Look at <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/> for ideas on organizing • and
searching.  Some stuff there works well, some doesn't.

That's the problem with just having categories of pictures. For some pieces
it's difficult to decide on which category it should be in.

Yep.  A better approach may be modeling a set of properties.  So a plate with
holes in it could have both the Technic and Plate properties.  This would • avoid
requiring a hierarchical classification (is that redundant?) system.

Yeah, I agree. One of the other threads had come to the same conclusion and
are curently trying to decide exactly which properties would be necessary.

This is probably better described by some fuzzy-logic concepts of which I know
little.

Likewise.

Regards,
Steve Hodge