 Dacta / 19
Re: 9453: Universal Topic Set @ Construction Site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dacta
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 05:09:58 GMT

In lugnet.dacta, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.dacta, Asher Kobin writes:
I don't know if this is old news or not, but the description was interesting:

"This is a mysterious set. Not much is known about its origin. Why is it
called the "Universal Topic Set"? Where did it come from? Is there any other
LEGO set that contains yellow macaroni pieces?

What is known: it contains lots of cool pieces and comes in a sturdy plastic
storage bin. Click here for a complete piece inventory.

528 pieces plus storage bin. $69.90"

I saw it yesterday in the store. It looks sort of nice, though I wouldn't
buy it.

Shiri

Ahhh...9453. slurp! I love this set. :-)  though I'm still not sure why.
For the longest time I "wept and drooled" over the box. But I couldn't bring
myself to dish out the $ for it. I'm glad I finally broke down and bought
it. I felt it needed to be in my collection -- generally for its being so odd.
It's a set with character! Many of the elements made me crazy: the yellow
macaroni, clear thin walls, and those old red hinges (very strong), and what's
up with that cover art?! looks so bizzare.

Inside, the DACTA cards show some really lame(in my opinion) models built with
the assortment. This prompted me to look again through the pieces, imagining
something vastly more amazing could have been built with them. I haven't come
up with anything, nor even tried, but I do keep it complete in its box.

DACTA's sample models being so blah while the piece assortment so interesting
and general yet functional, I think it could work well as project material for
a bunch of enthusiasts. For instance:

Each participant could start with their own copy of the set, take a week or so
to make an original creation. Then the group meets up and, hopefully, they'd be
delighted and amazed to see what the others had done. Digital pictures could be
taken of everyone with their models. Then, if put online they would make an
idea book for the set!..help it get the attention it deserves..poor ugly set...

I mentioned this idea to Crispin (at TCS) a long while ago. I forgot all about
it. But I still think it'd be fun. The hurdle would be the cost of the set.
Maybe post-event the participants would have a piece swap. dunno.

well, that's my 9453 story.

As for TCS's description, it sounds like Steve's humor.. maybe wrapping the set
with mystique (LEGO doesn't always provide the most exciting text for catalogs)

-Suz.