 Color / 980
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for your signs! (no discussions here please)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:19:13 GMT

SNIPPY

(Written 2 days ago)

Disagree. Samarth Moray (16) (No idea how much he spends on Lego, but the amount
is decreasing as the number of cool sets reduces.)

I’ve avoided stating my views on this situation for a looong time now, but this
is the straw that’s broken this camel’s back. I can see how some people would be
upset about this change, especially Ben, since he’s spent so much time and money
collecting old grey. IMO, the controversy arises from the fact that there is
such a divided opinion about the change. For me, the color change is, while
annoying, only a mere hindrance. I don’t own that much grey anyway, so if they
have changed the colors, fine. I buy the new sets, use the new colors, and hey,
I’ll have my fun building my MOCs; mixing old light grey with the new, but
separating the old dark grey and the new one. Call me crazy if you like. In the
end, that’s what counts. The FUN. As Gary Istok has stated once already, Lego
has changed (for example) its windows once long ago. Now it’s the color. As
someone else in this thread has already stated, WE cannot understand what a
major company like TLC is thinking about its policies. However, we, as fans, CAN
complain when we don’t like something, but that doesn’t mean that TLC is obliged
to listen to us. As I read somewhere, AFOLs constitute an extremely small
minority of the fans of lego. That we ‘know better’ or some BS like that is
simply that, BS. Yeah sure, Lego is going down the drain financially, but that’s
THEIR problem. They made that decision, and although it’s probably not the only
thing that’s affecting their coffers, (and this issue has been highly debated at
length already) it’s still THEIR problem. Now I know someone will argue and say
that it’s also our problem since were the fans and the customers, but like it or
not, that’s the way this situation stands. While I commend Ben for taking the
step that he has, it doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone agrees with him. Now
another thing I’ve noticed: Some people here (not pointing fingers at anyone
specific) ARE CHILDISH. (note that this is coming from a teen) I’m sorry. I know
for example people like Keith Goldman have probably spent a LOT of money on old
grey, but I haven’t read/heard any complaints from him. For someone who loves
laying down the smack, and has built his entire subtheme around grey, he sure is
an example to be followed, IMHO. My other computer’s net is down, and I sure am
glad for it, so I don’t have to access lugnet till it’s fixed. You could just as
well tell me to STFU or something, and stay away/skip filter temporarily from
.general and .color until the war is over, but how do I know it won’t start
again? This issue hasn’t died down even after a more than a year of being chewed
on. I’m not even sure anymore whether something else like this will crop up
again every three months; and become a regular feature, when I’ll have to keep
clicking ‘next’ for the next 20 messages to avoid the chatter. And then there
are some posts in .general that people DO like to read, like Gary’s History of
Lego. You can take it from me: I do lurk a lot here, and don’t say much, but
I’ve read virtually each and every single ‘fight’ there ever has been this past
year, as well as the regular MOC postings and all. But I’m avoiding reading this
thread since the color issue seems to be getting out of control. And dragging
Lugnet down with it.

Please don’t reply/mail/flame this thread/me unless you REALLY have something to
say.
Legoswami Samarth