 Color / 478
Re: A question of humidity...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:33:40 GMT

Please explain this to me.....sodium will explode when it gets wet?  If this is
true than wouldn't the oceans blow up?
Just curious....
Jen

Pure sodium (the metal) will explode (= react violantly) with water. However,
the sodium that is in the oceans is not the metal, but the ion - positively
charged. It is usualy accompanied by a chlorine ion (negative).
Just like salt that you use in the kitchen.

It would be a spectacular sight when the sodium in the oceans were to explode -
if watched from outer space :-)

/\/\ark "studied chemistry" de Kock.