 Color / 463
Re: Dear LEGO, do you realize what is happening?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:28:19 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Terry Prosper wrote:
I'm concerned about the community.  I've read, in the past years, many threads
about how people didn't like this line or that decision, but never as much as in
the last few months.

I am concerned about the community too, which is why I am posting more. I saw
some abysmal behaviour once before on Lugnet, but never have I seen so such
abysmal behaviour from so many people.

I think we, as a community, are no longer seeing LEGO as a friend, but
rather as an acquaintance.  Let me explain what I mean.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. TLC is not a friend, its just a toy
company who happen to make toys that are so open ended that you can build a
serious hobby around them. If you expect it to act like a friend, you're setting
yourself up for disappointment. And that disappointment arrived a few months ago
in the form of some new colours and a mistake about how to announce them.

Decisions are being taken by a big company and some
guy gets to tell us why, but only after the decision is final.  It's like a memo
being sent to every member of Lugnet by LEGO saying : "We know2 you exist, but
honestly, we are making toys for kids, so whatever you do or say, it doesn't
matter really, kids won't care about the color change or other bad decisions and
even if they did care, they won't act about it.

TLC works in an absolute cutthroat competitive environment. If they signaled
every change in their lineup by consulting publicly, they would be beaten to the
shelves by Megabloks by cheaper, bigger, lower quality versions of what they
consulted about.

I'm affraid not that thi scommunity will disappear.  It won't happen.  What I'm
affraif of is that this community isn't getting its fair share or respect.

We
get a comic book on AFOLs, little kits for events and a presence at BrickFest by
TLG, but what we are truly desiring, we won't get it.

This is an example of the abysmal behaviour I am talking about above. It's a
slur on Jake and the folk at Oracle Direct.

AFOLs have been given a lot more than that. I'm not going to list it all again -
I'm too busy visualising my Maersk Container Ship rebuilt as a mini-fig scale
car ferry.

I'll let a post from Jake answer:
See, this is where I scratch my head. I'm not sure what more I can do to
convince people, or prove to people that we do listen. We've developed tons of
products that are extremely AFOL friendly (ISD, RBR, Wright Flyer, etc.),
we've issued Legends, some of them even based on AFOL voting, we've solicited
feedback n what kinds of Legends you'd like to see, we've created a bulk >>program via
SAH, we've launched general consumer concepts like WWYM, and PaB.

But we make a mistake (albeit an honest one) with the color change, and people
start talking as if we've shunned not embraced the community in the last 4+
years.

Maybe I should spin this around and ask the AFOLs to answer this: What can I do
to "prove" that we are listening?

Dunno about you, but that sounds VERY genuine to me.

I'm not boycotting LEGO products.  I tried, but I couldn't resist.  I love htese
little platic parts that fit perfectly together.  I love to build, see other
people's  MOCs, share ideas, etc.  But I consider the LEGO Group a friend no
more.  Because they didn't listen to us, because they didn't warn us, because
they are ignoring us.

It's clear that both Jake and the guys behind him were completely amazed by the
strength of the reaction. I don't think it will happen like that again.

From Jake:

* We also have received confirmation from colleagues that in the future, we
will include both the adult and kid enthusiasts in any testing related to
modification or change of the core building system. (Please note that there
are not any plans whatsoever in the works for making changes)

This is a clear commitment from Jake and TLC, which you can call him on if its
broken.

Mark