 Color / 297
Slightly OT: Think the color change is bad? Try dealing with Check Card fraud!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 22 May 2004 00:50:33 GMT

Hey all,

While I'm not pleased with the color change and still can't decide whether
to buy new sets or just get a job at my local toy consignment shop (so I can
skim off and hoard all the originals!), I had something happen today that
threw things into perspective.  My wife and I went out for breakfast to a
nice local place that we didn't know was cash only.  I run out to two
different ATM's, both of which say "Unauthorized use."  I'm thinking, "What
the hell is this?"  Embarassed and more than a little po'ed, I go back to
the restaurant, get the keys to the car, drive to my bank and their ATM says
the same thing.  Oh boy!

Turns out, my check card # had been used to buy or authorize the usual
heinous amount of pizza and cellphones that accompanies such fraud.  If you
were/are an Earthlink member you may recall some very convincing e-mails
requesting an update of your billing information.  Now I'm no net ranger,
and I've deleted a lot of obvious fakes, but this one was subtle and managed
to silence that little voice in the back of my head.  I found out later that
it was fake, and cancelled my old card and had a new one sent, telling them
(my bank, BofA) exactly why I was doing this.  They managed to circumvent
that anyway.  Having to untangle such a mess like this reminds me how small
my hobby is compared the real challenges of life.

*ultra heavy mode off, dude*

Dave