 Color / 1219
Re: Santa Fe Super Chief wheel question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:19:05 GMT

In lugnet.color, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   Dear Anthony,

I never had the intention to be in any way “harsh” to you. If you felt like that I have to apologize. I just feel still bad with the “new” MEGA-Blok like colors. And I got warned never ever to mention these in LUGNET trains (or I might be timed out). So I have rarely posted here in the past 12 months.

Concerning the wheel sets you may find some more helpful information here (and in answering messages of them):

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=20963 http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=21365 http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=18153 (in thios posting SteveB gave a picture series how to modify the parts).

My second sarcasm about the use of scalpells was dealing with an experience we had with LEGO S@H employees. Those were familiar with steve’s pictures and told via phone not to send in friction wheel sets (because they had no better replacements anyway) but they told how to modify the parts with a scalpell.

Later other LEGO officials heard about that and were shocked, because kids could be advised to use a dangerous scalpell.... What I learned from that story: LEGO does not care for bad quality but is fearing to give (possibly) dangerous advice. (And within Europe we often wonder about the fact that somebody had success in claiming against hot coffee at the drive in of McDonalds. So I mixed up some sarcasm about LEGO and prejudices about American right system). Sorry for being that ioff topic here.

Leg Godt!

Ben

P.s.: since the last 4512 sets have been produced and packed in 2005 and all those contained “good” wheel sets in SYSTEM grey, you can expect, that the consumer service should still have “good” wheel sets at hand.

Don’t worry about it Ben, I never thought you were being harsh at all. I recognized the sarcasm.

But I’m beginning to think I’ve wasted everyone’s time. I’ve visited all the links you’ve pointed me to, and when I dug out my Santa Fe out of storage, this is what I found:

The engine and all five cars are like that, all 24 wheel sets. I’m no expert, but that really looks like the old wheel tuck design.

Did I just waste everyone’s time and take a long trip to no where?

--Anthony