Re: minor update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 03:43:49 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Leah Cardaci writes:
Hey everybody,

I have a couple of minor updates on my CW stuff.

First, I must say that you have backlit and focused your photos well.  You
have captured your subject matter and the vibrance of Leo colors well.  Some
people may not realize hw hard it is to get the lighting just right for
tight minifig shots.

Thanks for the compliment on my picture quality. I especially appreciate it
as having the proper lighting has become more difficult as winter
approaches. I had to retake quite a few of those pictures, and I’m happy
that the final results were of a noticeably good quality.

First I've revised the bios for three of my characters adding some more
information and pictures of major events in their life. I tried to really
convey as much as I could with the pictures.

I think you were successful!

Oh, good! I had thought that I’d been fairly successful, but it’s hard to
know for sure when the scene is already so vivid in my imagination.

Your economy of words and your staging of very evocative scenes is well
done...  Each picture tells its own story and hints to past and future
events.  Again, you have added another layer of texture/complexity to your
realm.  Before it was merchants and healers, now relationships, weddings and
death.  You continue to weave a unique environment/society and focus on
aspects of human experience that are often overlooked.

I think it would be strange not to include those aspects of life in
character bios. Those are the things that play a major role in everyone’s life.

King Mac:

http://www.lugnet.com/castle/org/cw/~397/Characters/Mac

This is my favorite sequence of this update...vibrant color and truly
evocative pics that set a definite tone and convey much information.

Yes, the pictures in this segment are the most dramatic, partly because of
the events are the most extreme. Also, my limited LEGO supply makes it
impossible to create a few of the more dramatic events in the other
characters lives.

Random thoughts:

nice battle scene!

Thanks. :-)

Mysterious dark robed figures similar to Terry Brooks'
dark creatures and Tolkien's Ring wraiths.

The Waldron have chosen that appearance to intimidate their opponents. I
think I'm very much influenced by Tolkien, but I haven’t read any Brooks yet.

Heck, I never knew you could attach anything to the silver sword hilts

I’ve been doing that since I obtained my first silver swords as a kid. It’s
really a pain to keep the “jewels” on sword.  However, the “jeweled swords”
had already become  part of the history of my realm before I figured that out.

The wedding scene is reminiscient of the weddings in Boorman's Excalibur and
First Knight w/ Sean Connery...

Really? I didn’t see (read?) either of those. Selena was Drakyn, and the
wedding is a Drakyn ceremony. Both the fire and the jewel are related to the
Drakyn lifestyle.

I think this bio is probably the best showcase of pictures being worth
10,000 words.  You managed to elicit alot of emotio from staic face
expressions and little plastic figures = )

It is a challenge to show a scene of sadness with a figure that has a
constantly smiling face. I've learned a lot about how posture and not
showing the full face can help with that problem while I was experimenting
with these pictures. I was pleasantly surprised by how much emotion and
information it seemed could be shown with just a picture.

The wedding vail and burial shroud is a cool touch.

I think so, glad you agree. Have I mentioned how much I appreciate the
great parts from BV?

King Ronauld:

http://www.lugnet.com/castle/org/cw/~397/Characters/Ronauld

I really like the "back against the wall" heroes being surrounded scene.  A
good rendition of a very primal theme.

Protector Justus:

http://www.lugnet.com/castle/org/cw/~397/Characters/Justus

Justus?  Where does he fit in Brad's (LEGO vp) family tree?

Great-great grandfather maybe? (g)

I like the use
of the SW naboo guard torso with the cloak.

Also, I have put up a FTX page that explains a little bit about the customs
of Forester names:

http://www.lugnet.com/castle/org/cw/~397/Factions/Foresters/AboutNames

I am considering using the definition list form for all of the terms I have
created, so I'd like to know your opinion of it.

Please, LMKWYT.

-L

The naming convention is an interesting malange of Native American, Medieval
European, and fantasy (elves/dwarves) naming customs;  another intriguing
parameter of your society.

Hmm... What aspects of those traditions are similar to those of the
Foresters?  I’m curious about this.

I think that a seperate paragraph of a few
sentences explaining each your examples would be better than the integration
of your example in the definition.  Essentially, state your definition of
character name or honor name in general.  Then a small prargraph of example.

I’ve added some explanatory paragraphs to the page. What do you think now?

Cool update...can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Thanks for your interesting comments. :-) I’ve made some cool-looking
(IMHO) new characters and I hope to put up their bios in the next week
depending on whether or not we actually get any sunshine.

-L